This report covers (i) the results of an interview survey concerning sexual responses of 124 women during the perimenopause (menopause transition), and (ii) the results of 52 women's prospective coital behavior records over 3 months with concomitant steroid analysis. Results indicated that (i) in general, the age group centering around 49 years appears not to be suffering from a particular sexual deficit in the dimensions of desire, response, or satisfaction in their sexul life, and (ii) a subset of women with especially low estradiol levels (< 35 mg/pl) tends to have reduced coital activity.
Key wordsmenopause sexuality premenopausal transition female sexuality estrogens
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cutler, W. B., and Garcia, C. R. (1984).Medical Management of Menopause and Premenopause: Its Endocrinologic Basis. J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Cutler, W. B., Garcia, C. R., and Edwards, D. A. (1983).Menopause: A Guide for Women and the Men Who Love Them. W. W. Norton, New York.Google Scholar
- Cutler, W. B., McCoy, N., and Davidson, J. M. (1983). Sexual behavior, steroids, and hot flashes are associated during the perimenopause.Neuroendocrinology 5: 185.Google Scholar
- Dixon, W. J., and Massey, S. J., Jr. (1969).Introduction to Statistical Analyses 3rd ed. McGraw Hill, New York, pp. 249–250.Google Scholar
- Hallstrom, T. (1977). Sexuality in the climacteric.Clin. Obstet. Gynecol. 4: 227–239.Google Scholar
- Kupperman, H. S., Wetchler, B. B., and Blatt, M. H. G. (1959). Contemporary theory of the menopausal syndrome.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 171: 1627–1637.Google Scholar
- Lieblum, S., Bachman, G., Kemman, E., Colburn, D., and Swartzman, L. (1983). Vaginal atrophy in the postmenopausal woman: The importance of sexual activity and hormones.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 249: 2195–2198.Google Scholar
- Luria, X. and Meade, R. G. (1984). Sexuality and the middle-age women. In Baruch, G., and Brooks-Gunn, J.,Women in Midlife. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- McCoy, N., Cutler, W. B., and Davidson, J. M. (1985). Relationships among sexual behavior, hot flashes, & hormone levels in perimenopausal women.Arch. Sex. Behav. 14: 381–390.Google Scholar
- Vollman, R. F. (1977).The menstrual cycle, Vol. 7. InMajor Problems in Obstetrics and Gynecology. W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia.Google Scholar