Abnormalin vitro thymocyte differentiation in a patient with severe combined immunodeficiency-Nezelof's syndrome
- 31 Downloads
Anin vitro coculture model system of CD34+ stem cells and allogenic cultured thymic epithelia fragments was used to evaluate thymocyte differentiation in a 9-month-old child of Amish descent with Nezelof syndrome. Though the patient's stem cells differentiate to acquire normal expression of CD2 and CD7, later steps of maturation were abnormal. There was detectable but reduced expression of CD3 and CD4 phenotypes. CD44+ expression, however, was markedly reduced. CD44 is an adhesion molecule, interacting with the matrix ligands hyaluronan and fibronectin, and is expressed early in thymocyte differentiation and subsequently in mature T cells. It is hypothesized that abnormal expression of CD44 in a variant of severe combined immunodeficiency, Nezelof's syndrome, interferes with normal thymocyte and thymic epithelial interaction, which leads to abnormal thymocyte differentiation.
Key wordsSevere combined immunodeficiency (SCID) CD34+ stem cells cultured thymic epithelia thymocyte differentiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.WHO: Primary immunodeficiency diseases—Report of a WHO sponsored meeting. Immunodefic Rev 1:173–205, 1989Google Scholar
- 14.Haynes BF, Denning SM, Le PT, Singer KH: Human intrathymic T cell differentiation. Semin Immunol 2:66–77, 1990Google Scholar
- 20.Patel DD, Hale LP, Whichard LP, Radcliff G, MacKay CR, Haynes BF: Expression of CD44 molecules and CD44 ligands during human fetal development: Expression of CD44 isoforms is developmentally regulated. Inter Immunol 7:277–286, 1995Google Scholar
- 24.Buckley RH, Schiff SE, Sampson HA, Schiff RI, Markert ML, Knutsen AP, Lawton AF, Hershfield MS, Huang AT, Mickey GH, Ward FE: Development of immunity in human severe primary T cell deficiency following haploidentical bone marrow stem cell transplantation. J Immunol 136:2398–2407, 1986PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Collins NH, Lebkowski J, O'Reilly RJ, Okarma T: T-cell depletion of SBA-cells by adherence in the AIS collector—T cell.In E Areman, HJ Deeg, RA Sacher (eds), Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Processing: A Manual of Current Techniques. Philadelphia, F. A. Davis, 1992, pp 205–207Google Scholar
- 28.Funderud S, Nustad K, Lea T, Vanrtal F, Guadomcak G, Stansted P, Ugelstad J: Fractionation of lymphocytes by immunomagnetic beads.In Lymphocytes: A Practical Approach, GGB Klaus (ed). New York, Oxford University Press, 1987, pp 55–61Google Scholar