Cytomegalovirus colitis in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome
- 58 Downloads
Twenty-four AIDS patients, who underwent gastrointestinal evaluation, died from their disease and were autopsied. Seven had Cytomegaloviruscolitis (group I) and 17 did not (group II). Clinical manifestations, digestive lesions, and infections were compared in the two groups. Chronic watery diarrhea was present in all the patients with colitis but was also present in 65% of the patients without colitis. Hematochezia was present only in the group with colitis (one of seven patients) but appeared late in the diarrheal course, due to necrotizing colitis. No other difference were noted between the two groups (mean duration of diarrhea, frequency and nature of the other infections). As for group I specifically,colonic ulcerations due to Cytomegaloviruswere present in all the patients, varying from punctate and superficial erosions to deep ulcerations, with granular and friable intervening mucosa. Severe colonic lesions appeared during the course of Cytomegaloviruscolitis in two patients who developed lethal necrotizing colitis. Finally, the clinical and pathologic features of these seven cases were compared to other reports of Cytomegalovirusinfection of the colon.
Key wordsAIDS CMV colitis enteral infection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Centers for Disease Control: Kaposi's sarcoma and pneumocystis pneumonia among homosexual men. New York City and California. Morbid Mortal Weekly Rep 30:305–308, 1981Google Scholar
- 7.Gold E: Cytomegalovirus infections.In Infections Diseases, 2nd ed. PD Hoeprich (ed). New York, Harper and Row, 1977, p. 628Google Scholar
- 11.Gertler SL, Presman J, Price P, Brozinsky S, Miyai K: Gastrointestinal cytomegalovirus infection in homosexual man with severe acquired immunodeficiency syndrome 85:1403–1406, 1983Google Scholar
- 21.Rene E, Regnier B, Saimot AG, Matheron S, Le Port C, Vittecoq D, Marche C, Bure A: Gastrointestinal infection during AIDS. Lancet 1:915, 1984 (letter)Google Scholar
- 22.Collaborative DHPG treatment Study Group: Treatment of serious cytomegalovirus infections with 9-(1,3-dihydroxy-2-propoxymethyl) guanine in patients with AIDS and other immunodeficiency diseases. N Engl J Med 314:801–805, 1986Google Scholar