Lymphocytic (microscopic) colitis
- 75 Downloads
Lymphocytic colitis, formerly called microscopic colitis, is a clinicopathologic syndrome with chronic watery diarrhea and diffuse mucosal inflammatory changes with prominent intraepithelial lymphocytes. The 18 lymphocytic colitis patients studied presented with chronic watery diarrhea at a mean age of 53.8±17 years (±1 SD). Roentgenographic, endoscopic, and culture data were not diagnostic. In patients tested, there was a high prevalence of arthritis (82%) and autoantibodies (50%) but no increase in frequency of histocompatibility antigens associated with well-defined autoimmune disease (DR3, B8). Lymphocytic colitis patients were compared to 21 patients with collagenous colitis. Similarities included age, symptomatology, and nondiagnostic radiographic and endoscopic studies. However, the sex distribution was statistically different, with an equal male-to-female ratio in lymphocytic colitis and female predominance (80%) in collagenous colitis. Other differences included dissimilar histocompatibility phenotypes and collagen band on biopsies of collagenous but not lymphocytic colitis. These findings suggest that lymphocytic and collagenous colitis may be related yet distinct disorders.
Key wordsmicroscopic colitis lymphocytic colitis collagenous colitis autoimmune
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kingham JG, Levinson DA, Ball JA, Dawson AM: Microscopic colitis—a cause of chronic watery diarrhea. Br Med J 285:1601–1604, 1982Google Scholar
- 3.Sanderson JR, Boyle S, Williams CB, Walker-Smith JA: Histological abnormalities in biopsies from macroscopically normal colonoscopies. Arch Dis Child 61:271–274, 1986Google Scholar
- 8.Jessurun J, Yardley JH, Lee EL, Vendrell DD, Schiller LR, Fordtran JS: Microscopic and collagenous colitis: Different names for the same condition? Gastroenterology 91:1583–1584, 1986Google Scholar
- 11.Hochberg MC, Boyd RE, Ahern JM, Arnett FC, Bias WB, Provost TT, Stevens MB: Systemic lupus erythematosus. A review of clinico-laboratory features and immunogenetic markers in 150 patients with emphasis of demographic subsets. Medicine 65:285–295, 1985Google Scholar
- 12.Jones B, Bayless TM, Hamilton SR, Yardley JH: “Bubbly bulb” in celiac disease. Radiologie-pathologic correlation. Am J Radiol 142:119–22, 1984Google Scholar
- 14.Maroy B, Moullot P: Collagenous colitis associated with chronic inflammatory arthropathy. Press Med 13:1516, 1984Google Scholar
- 16.Maroy B: Another case of enteropathic rheumatism: Collagenous colitis. Rev Med Intern 6:331, 1985Google Scholar
- 17.Fauso O, Foerster A, Hovig T: Collagenous colitis. A clinical, histological and ultrastructural study. Scand J Gastroenterol 107:8–23, 1985Google Scholar