Incidence of depression in early adolescence: A preliminary study
- 483 Downloads
The authors wished to determine whether depression was present in an early adolescent nonpatient identified school population. Questionnaires were administered to seventh and eighth grade students in a parochial extended elementary school. The findings indicated that 33.3% of this school population were experiencing moderate to severe depression and 35% of the sample acknowledged current suicidal ideation. A comparison of mean scores showed a trend toward more depressive symptomatology in the eighth grade, possibly indicating a developmental critical period. A correlation of individual scores and teacher ratings suggests that teacher evaluation may have some direct effect on the student's emotional health. The authors make specific suggestions for promoting improved mental health in a school setting.
KeywordsMental Health Health Psychology Elementary School Suicidal Ideation Critical Period
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cerny, L., and Cerna, M. (1969). Depressive syndrome in children and adolescents with regard to suicidal tendencies. In Shneidman, E. S., and Swenson, D. D. (eds.),Suicide Among Youth, U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Chevy Chase, Md.Google Scholar
- Hirschowitz, R. G. (1973). Crisis theory: A formulation. Paper presented at the National Conference on Crisis Intervention, McLean Hospital, Boston.Google Scholar
- Jan-Tausch, J. (1963). Suicide of children 1960–1963: New Jersey public school students. Ph.D. dissertation, State of New Jersey Department of Education.Google Scholar
- Schneidman, E. S., and Swenson, D. D. (eds.) (1969).Suicide Among Youth, U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Chevy Chase, Md.Google Scholar
- Schuyler, D. (1972). How to spot the suicidal child.Am. School Board J. 159: 43–44.Google Scholar
- Schwab, J. (1972).Alachua County Epidemiologic Health Study, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Fla.Google Scholar
- Terry, L. (1973). Depression: Research and the administration of the Beck Depression Inventory to adolescents. Unpublished senior thesis, Newton College of the Sacred Heart, Newton, Mass.Google Scholar