Irritable bowel syndrome in women having diagnostic laparoscopy or hysterectomy
- 36 Downloads
We identified irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in 47.7% of 86 women having diagnostic laparoscopy for chronic pelvic pain, 39.5% of 172 women having elective hysterectomy, and 32.0% of 172 controls age-matched for the hysterectomy group (P=NS). Constipation and pain subtype IBS were more common in hysterectomy patients than controls (P < 0.05). In laparoscopy patients, dyspareunia was more common in those with IBS than in those without it (P < 0.05). In the hysterectomy group, more IBS patients had chronic pelvic pain (P < 0.005), and abnormal menses (P < 0.01). Chronic pelvic pain was more frequently the only prehysterectomy diagnosis in IBS patients (P < 0.05), and IBS was present more often when pain was a reason for hysterectomy (P < 0.01). One year after laparoscopy, IBS patients gave lower overall status ratings (P < 0.01) and lower pain improvement ratings (P < 0.05) than non-IBS patients. In women who had a hysterectomy for pain, there was less pain improvement one year later in those with the pain subtype of IBS than in non- IBS patients (P < 0.05). IBS is associated with gynecologic symptoms and affects the symptomatic outcome of diagnostic laparoscopy and hysterectomy.
Key Wordsirritable bowel syndrome hysterectomy laparoscopy pelvic pain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Jones III HW, Wentz AC, Burnett LS: Novak's Textbook of Gynecology, 11th ed. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1988Google Scholar
- 7.Willson JR, Carrington ER, Ledger WJ: Obstetrics and Gynecology, 8th ed. St. Louis, CV Mosby, 1987Google Scholar
- 8.Kase NG, Weingold, AB, Lucas WE, Connell EB: Principles and Practice of Clinical Gynecology. New York, John Wiley & Sons, 1983Google Scholar
- 9.Stander RW: Pain.In Gynecology and Obstetrics. The Health Care of Women, 2nd ed. SL Romney, MJ Grey, AB Little, JA Merrill, EJ Quilligan, RW Stander (eds). New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1981, pp 481–491Google Scholar
- 14.Waller SL, Misiewicz JJ: Prognosis in the irritable bowel syndrome: A prospective study. Lancet 2:753–756, 1969Google Scholar