Techniques for the preparation and identification of transplutonium elements
- 25 Downloads
A short review of the discovery of transuranium elements is given and methods of preparing and identifying them are described. The results of a thorough experimental check of the work of a group of scientists from the USA, Britain, and Sweden on the preparation of element 102 are given.
A radical new method used for preparing isotopes of element 102 is described in detail. Data on the properties of two isotopes of this element are given. The half-life of an isotope of element 102 with a mass number of 254 is 3 sec and the α-particle energy is 8. 3 Mev. In 30% of the cases of decomposition, this isotope undergoes spontaneous fission. According to preliminary data, the isotope of element 102 with a mass number of 253 has an α-particle energy of 8. 8 Mev.
The agreement of the results of this work with the data obtained by G. N. Flerov et al. is noted. In conclusion, possible ways of preparing and identifying elements with an atomic number Z above 102 are examined briefly.
KeywordsPreliminary Data Atomic Number Mass Number Short Review Spontaneous Fission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Seaborg, E. McMillan, J. Kennedy and A. Wahl, Phys. Rev.69, 366 (1946); G. Seaborg, A. Wahl and J. Kennedy, Phys. Rev.69, 367 (1946).Google Scholar
- 2.G. Seaborg, R. James and A. Ghiorso, “The transuranium elements,” Natl. Nuclear Energy Ser.14B, 1554 (1949).Google Scholar
- 3.G. Seaborg, R. James and L. Morgan, “The transuranium elements,” Natl. Nuclear Energy Ser.14B, 1525 (1949).Google Scholar
- 4.S. Thompson, A. Ghiorso and G. Seaborg, Phys. Rev.77, 838 (1950).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Thompson, K. Street and A. Ghiorso, Phys. Rev.80, 790 (1950).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Ghiorso, S. Thompson, G. Higgins et al., Phys. Rev.99, 1048 (1955).Google Scholar
- 7.A. Ghiorso, B. Harvey et al., Phys. Rev.98, 1518 (1955).Google Scholar
- 8.Phillips, R. Gatti et al., Phys. Rev. Letters1, 215 (1958).Google Scholar
- 9.P. Fields, A. Friedman et al., Phys. Rev.107, 1460 (1957).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Ghiorso, T. Sikkeland, J. Walton and G. Seaborg, Phys. Rev. Letters1, 17 (1958).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Ghiorso. Unpublished data.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Ghiorso, T. Sikkeland, J. Walton and G. Seaborg, Phys. Rev. Letters1, 18 (1958).Google Scholar
- 13.G. N. Flerov, S. M. Polikanov, A. S. Karamyan et al., Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR120, 73 (1958).Google Scholar
- 14.G. Flerov, Proceedings of the Conference on Reactions between Complex Nuclei, Gatlinburg, Tennessee, May 5–7, 1958, p. 384.Google Scholar