Structure and dynamics of model Ag and Pt clusters
- 37 Downloads
The structure and dynamics of model silver and platinum clusters were investigated by performing molecular dynamics calculations with regular quenching along the trajectory. An eigenvector-following routine was used to determine stationary points linking minimum configurations. Clusters of 13 and 14 atoms were studied, using Sutton-Chen potentials suitable for silver and platinum to describe the interatomic interaction. The close relationship between features of the potential energy surface and the dynamic behaviour of the clusters, for example the occurrence of coexistence, is shown. For silver and platinum, very different structural as well as dynamic properties are observed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- See for example J. Farges, M. F. de Feraudy, B. Raoult and G. Torchet,J. Chem. Phys.,84, 3491 (1986); J. D. Honeycutt and H. C. Andersen,J. Phys. Chem.,91, 4950 (1987).Google Scholar
- R. S. Berry, T. L. Beck, H. L. Davies and J. Jellinek,Advances in Chemical Physics,70 (1989).Google Scholar
- for a recent review on experimental studies of small metal particles, see A. I. Kirkland, P. P. Edwards, D. A. Jefferson and D. G. Duff,Ann. Rep. Prog. Chem. C,87, 247 (1991).Google Scholar
- F. Ercolessi, W. Andreoni and E. Tosatti,Phys. Rev. Lett.,66, 911 (1991).Google Scholar
- I. L. Garzon and J. Jellinek,Z. Phys. D,20, 235 (1991); J. Jellinek and I. L. Garzon,Z. Phys. D,20, 239 (1991).Google Scholar
- S. Sawada and S. Sugano,Z. Phys. D,12, 189 (1989);Z. Phys. D,14, 247 (1989);Z. Phys. D,20, 259 (1991).Google Scholar
- L. Verlet,Phys. Rev.,159, 98 (1967).Google Scholar
- A. P. Sutton and J. Chen,Philos. Mag. Letters,61, 139 (1990).Google Scholar
- C. J. Cerjan and W. H. Miller,J. Chem. Phys.,75, 2800 (1981); D. J. Wales,Mol. Phys.,74, 1 (1991).Google Scholar
- J. Uppenbrink and D. J. Wales, submitted for publication inJ. Chem. Phys. Google Scholar
- J. Uppenbrink and D. J. Wales,J. Chem. Phys.,96, 8520 (1992).Google Scholar