Letn andd be integers,n>d ≥ 2. We examine the smallest integerg(n,d) such that any setS of at leastg(n,d) points, in general position in Ed, containsn points which are the vertices of an empty convexd-polytopeP, that is, S∩intP = 0. In particular we show thatg(d+k, d) = d+2k−1 for 1 ≤k ≤ iLd/2rL+1.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T.Bisztriczky and V.Soltan: Some Erdös-Szekeres type results about points in space. Monatsh. Math. (to appear)Google Scholar
- B. Grünbaum: Convex Polytopes. London-New York-Sydney, J. Wiley 1967.Google Scholar
- H. Harborth: Konvexe Fünfecke in ebenen Punktmengen. Elem. Math.33 (1978), 116–118.Google Scholar
- J.D. Horton: Sets with no empty convex 7-gons. Canad. Math. Bull.26 (1983), 482–484.Google Scholar
- P. Valtr: Sets inR d with no large empty convex subsets. Discrete Math.108 (1992), 115–124.Google Scholar