The conductance to outflow of CSF in adults with high-pressure hydrocephalus
- 47 Downloads
The intraventricular pressure was compared with conductance to outflow of CSF (Cout) in 12 patients with high-pressure hydrocephalus of less than 3 months duration. Cout was measured by a lumbo-ventricular or a ventriculo-ventricular perfusion test. In all patients Cout was very low (median 0.016 ml mm Hg−1 minute−1). Thus high-pressure hydrocephalus may be considered to be the consequence of a greatly increased resistance to resorption of CSF.
The level of the measured ICP (mean: ICP 23.5 mm Hg) corresponded to the theoretical level calculated from the measured Cout. B-waves were observed during most of the recording periods and episodes of plateau waves were seen in all patients but one. In this particular group of patients, the unsatisfactory results of ventriculo-atrial shunting emphasize the high risks associated conditions leading to high-pressure hydrocephalus.
KeywordsCerebrospinal fluid dynamics conductance to CSF-outflow hydrocephalus intracranial pressure periventricular lucency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Fuhrmeister, U., Ruether, P., Dommasch, D.,et al., Alterations of CSF dynamics following meningitis and subarachnoid hemorrhage. In: Intracranial Pressure IV (Shulman, K.,et al., eds.), pp. 241–244. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer. 1980.Google Scholar
- 6.Gjerris, F., Børgesen, S. E., Sørensen, S. C., Predicting the results of ventricular shunting in normal pressure hydrocephalus by lumbo-ventricular perfusion test. In: Intracranial Pressure IV (Shulman, K.,et al., eds.), pp. 494–497. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer. 1980.Google Scholar
- 9.Katzman, R., Hussey, F., A simple constant infusion manometric test for measurement of CSF absorption. Neurology (Minneap.)20 (1970), 534–544.Google Scholar
- 10.Lundberg, N., Continuous recording and control of ventricular fluid pressure in neurosurgical practice. Acta Psychiatr. Scand.36 (suppl. 149) (1960), 1–193.Google Scholar
- 11.Milhorat, T. H., Hydrocephalus and the cerebrospinal fluid, 380 pp. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins. 1972.Google Scholar
- 17.Voldby, B., Enevoldsen, E. M., Intraventricular pressure, CSF lactate and vasospasm in ruptured intracranial aneurysm. In: Intracranial Pressure IV (Shulman, K.,et al., eds.), pp. 211–214. Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer. 1980.Google Scholar