Extension of Newton's method to nonlinear functions with values in a cone
- 168 Downloads
We show how Newton's method may be extended, using convex optimization techniques, to solve problems of the form
, whereK is a nonempty closed convex cone in a Banach spaceY, andf is a function from a reflexive Banach spaceX intoY. A generalization of the Kantorovich theorem is proved, giving convergence results and error bounds for this method.
$$Find \bar x such that f(\bar x) \in K$$
KeywordsMathematical Method Optimization Technique Nonlinear Function Convergence Result Error Bound
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ben-Israel, A.: A Newton-Raphson method for the solution of systems of equations. J. Math. Anal. Appl.15, 243–252 (1966).Google Scholar
- 2.Ben-Israel, A.: Linear equations and inequalities on finite-dimensional, real or complex, vector spaces: A unified theory. J. Math. Anal. Appl.27, 367–389 (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.Levitin, E. S., Polyak, B. T.: Constrained minimization methods. Ž. Vyčisl. Mat. i Mat. Fiz.6, 5, 787–823 (1966) [Russian]; English translation: U.S.S.R. Comput. Math. and Math. Phys.6, 5, 1–50 (1966).Google Scholar
- 4.Mangasarian, O. L.: Private communication to the author.Google Scholar
- 5.Ortega, J. M.: The Newton-Kantorovich theorem. Amer. Math. Monthly75, 658–660 (1968).Google Scholar
- 6.Ortega, J. M., Rheinboldt, W. C.: Iterative solution of nonlinear equations in several variables. New York: Academic Press 1970.Google Scholar
- 7.Ostrowski, A. M.: Newton's method in Banach spaces. Proceedings of the 1970 Oberwolfach Symposium on the Numerical Solution of Differential Equations. (To appear.)Google Scholar
- 8.Pshenichnyi, B. N.: Newton's method for the solution of systems of equalities and inequalities. Mat. Zametki8, 635–640 (1970) [Russian]; English translation: Math. Notes,8, 827–830 (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.Rall, L. B.: Computational solution of nonlinear operator equations. New York: Wiley 1969.Google Scholar
- 10.Rall, L. B., Tapia, R. A.: The Kantorovich theorem and error estimates for Newton's method. Technical Summary Report No. 1043, Mathematics Research Center, University of Wisconsin, 1970.Google Scholar
- 11.Robinson, S. M.: Normed convex processes. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. (1972), in press. Also appeared as Technical Summary Report No. 1135, Mathematics Research Center, University of Wisconsin, 1971.Google Scholar
- 12.Rockafellar, R. T.: Monotone processes of convex and concave type. Providence: American Mathematical Society (Memoirs No. 77) 1967.Google Scholar
- 13.Rockafellar, R. T.: Convex analysis. Princeton: Princeton University Press 1970.Google Scholar
- 14.Zukhovitskiy, S. I., Avdeyeva, L. I.: Linear and convex programming. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders 1966.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag 1972