Severely denting the Gabidulin version of the McEliece Public Key Cryptosystem
- 92 Downloads
Gabidulin has proposed a version of the McEliece Public Key Cryptosystem using what he calls maximum rank distance (MRD) codes in place of Goppa codes. It is shown how to break such a system by finding a trapdoor to it. For the size of code he suggests this can be done in about a week on a fast personal computer. The attack can be thwarted by increasing the size of the code, but the advantages claimed for the Gabidulin version over the McEliece version are then largely lost.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. F. Brickell,Breaking Iterated Knapsacks, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, New York, 196 (1984).Google Scholar
- 2.E. M. Gabidulin,Ideals over a Non-Commutative Ring and their Applications in Cryptography, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, New York, 547 (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.E. M. Gabidulin, Theory of codes with maximum rank distance,Problems of Information Transmission, Vol. 21, No. 1 (1985). (Russian original January–March 1985).Google Scholar
- 4.E. M. Gabidulin, Rank Metrics, Array-Error Correcting Codes, and Applications. Seminar given at R.H.B.N.C, University of London, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.J. K. Gibson,Equivalent Goppa Codes and Trapdoors to McEliece's Public Key Cryptosystem, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, New York, 547 (1991).Google Scholar
- 6.R. Heiman,On the Security of Cryptosystems Based on Linear Error Correcting Codes. MSc. Thesis, Feinberg Graduate School of the Weizmann Institute of Science. August 1987.Google Scholar
- 7.P. J. Lee and E. F. Brickell,An Observation on the Security of McEliece's Public Key Cryptosystem, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, New York, 330 (1988).Google Scholar
- 8.R. Lidl and H. Niederreiter,Introduction to Finite Fields and their Applications, Cambridge University Press (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.R. J. McEliece,A Public Key Cryptosystem Based on Algebraic Coding Theory, DSN Progress Report (Jan, Feb), Jet Propulsion Lab., California Institute of Technology, 1978.Google Scholar
- 10.J. Van Tilburg,On the McEliece Public Key Cryptosystem, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, New York, 403 (1988).Google Scholar