Non-numeric multi-criteria multi-person decision making
We describe a decision making technique, ME-MCDM, for the evaluation and selection of alternatives using a non-numeric scale. Using this procedure each alternative is evaluated by an expert for satisfaction to a multi-criteria selection function. Each criterion can have a different degree of importance. The individual expert evaluations can then be aggregated to obtain an overall evaluation function. We apply this technique to the problem of proposal selection in the funding environment. In this environment the technique is augmented by some textual information which can also be used to help in the decision process.
KeywordsDecision Making Decision Process Evaluation Function Selection Function Textual Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arrow, K.J. (1951).Social Choice and Individual Values. New York: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Caudill, M. (1990). “Using Neural Nets: Fuzzy Decisions,”AI Expert (April), 59–64.Google Scholar
- Dubois, D., and H. Prade. (1985). “A Review of Fuzzy Sets Aggregation Connectives,”Information Sciences 36, 85–121.Google Scholar
- Luce, R.D., and H. Raiffa. (1967).Games and Decisions: Introduction and Critical Survey. New York: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Miller, G.A. (1969). “The Organization of Lexical Memory.” In G.A. Talland and N.C. Waugh, eds.,The Pathology of Memory. New York: 1969.Google Scholar
- Roy, B. (1973). “How Outranking Relation Helps Multiple Criteria Decision Making.” In J.J. Cochrane and M. Zeleny, eds.,Multiple Criteria Decision Making. Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press.Google Scholar
- Roy, B., and P. Bertier. (1972). “La Methode ELECTRE II: Une Application Media-Planning,”Sixth International Conference on Operational Research, Dublin, 21–25.Google Scholar
- Yager, R.R. (1980). “Competitiveness and Compensation in Decision Making: A Fuzzy Set Based Interpretation,”Computers and Operations Research 7, 285–300.Google Scholar
- Yager, R.R. (1981). “A New methodology for Ordinal Multiple Aspect Decisions Based on Fuzzy Sets,”Decision Sciences 12, 589–600.Google Scholar
- Yager, R.R. (1988). “On Ordered Weighted Averaging Aggregation Operators in Multi-Criteria Decision Making,”IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics 18, 183–190.Google Scholar
- Yager, R.R. (1992). “Applications and extensions of OWA Aggregations,”International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 37, 103–132.Google Scholar