Banding pattern of mussel (Mytilus galloprovincialis) chromosomes induced by 2 × SSC/Giemsa-stain treatment
- 56 Downloads
Mytilus galloprovincialis were collected from an intertidal population in NW Spain in 1988, and chromosomes from the gill tissue of 37 individuals were studied. The present paper describes the banding pattern of aM. galloprovincialis population which enabled us to identify all pairs of chromosomes. Banding was induced by means of a 2 × SSC (0.3M sodium chloride:0.03M sodium citrate)/Giemsa-staining technique, and a diagrammatic representation was constructed based on mean number of bands. The application of this banding technique may prove useful in future research related to the cytogenetics and cytotaxonomy of mussels and other molluscs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dixon, D. R., Flavell, N. (1986). A comparative study of the chromosomes ofMytilus edulis andMytilus galloprovincialis. J. mar. biol. Ass. U.K. 66: 219–228Google Scholar
- Dutrillaux, B. (1975). Sur la nature et l'origine des chromosomes humains. Expansion Scientifique Française, Paris (Monogrs Annls Génét.)Google Scholar
- Moore, M. N., Lowe, D. L., Livingstone, D. R., Dixon, D. R. (1986). Molecular and cellular indices of pollutant effects and their use in environmental impact assessment. Wat. Sci. Technol. (Plymouth) 18: 223–232Google Scholar
- Moynihan, E. P., Mahon, G. A. T. (1983). Quantitative karyotype analysis in the musselMytilus edulis L. Aquaculture, Amsterdam 33: 301–309Google Scholar
- Nakamura, H. K. (1985). A review of molluscan cytogenetic information based on the CISMOCH — Computerized Index System for Molluscan Chromosomes. Bivalvia, Polyplacophora and Cephalopoda. Venus 44: 193–225Google Scholar
- Paris Conference (1972). Standardization in human cytogenetics (Proceedings of Conference held in 1971). Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 11: 313–362Google Scholar
- Rodríguez-Romero, F., Laguarda-Figueras, A., Uribe-Alcocer, M., Rojas-Lara, M. L. (1979). Distribution of “G” bands in the karyotype ofCrassostrea virginica. Venus 38: 180–184Google Scholar
- Thiriot-Quiévreux, C. (1984). Chromosome analysis of three species ofMytilus (Bivalvia). Mar. Biol. Lett. 5: 265–273Google Scholar
- Thiriot-Quiévreux, C., Ayraud, N. (1982). Les caryotypes de quelques espèces de bivalves et de gastéropodes marins. Mar. Biol. 70: 165–172Google Scholar