Definition of terms and concepts applicable to clinical preventive medicine
This article defines the terms and concepts applied to the teaching of clinical preventive medicine by the Curriculum Development Project—a joint venture of the Center for Educational Development in Health (CEDH) at Boston University and the Association of Teachers of Preventive Medicine Foundation (ATPMF).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A Discursive Dictionary of Health Care (Prepared by Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce of U.S. House of Representatives, February, 1976). U.S. Government Printing Office, Stock No. 052-070-031-99-9.Google Scholar
- 2.International Epidemiological Association:A Dictionary of Terms. Last, JM, (ed), 1981.Google Scholar
- 3.Friedman GD:Primer of Epidemiology. (2nd Ed.). New York, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1980.Google Scholar
- 4.Lilienfeld AM:Foundations of Epidemiology. New York, Oxford University Press, 1976.Google Scholar
- 5.Segall A, Barker WH Jr, Cobb S, Jackson G, and Carey J: A general model for preventive intervention in clinical practice.J Med Educ,56:324–333, 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.Segall A, Barker W Jr, Cobb S, Jackson G, Noren J, Shindell S, Stokes J III, and Ericsson S: Development of a competency-based approach to teaching preventive medicine (in press).Google Scholar
- 7.World Health Organization: The Constitution of the World Health Organization.WHO Chronicle 1:29, 1944.Google Scholar
- 8.Wylie CM: The definition and measurement of health and disease.Public Health Reports 85:100–104, 1970.Google Scholar
- 9.Parson T:Definitions of Health and Illness in the Light of American Values and Social Structure. (2nd Ed.). New York, Free Press of Glencoe, 1948.Google Scholar
- 10.Health Status Indexes: Proceedings of the Conference, Berg RL (ed). Chicago, Hospital Research and Educational Trust, 1973.Google Scholar
- 11.McKeown T:The Role of Medicine. Oxford, Nuffield Trust, 1976.Google Scholar
- 12.Preventive and Community Medicine in Primary Care. Fogarty International Center Series on Teaching of Preventive Medicine. Vol. 5, DHEW Publ No. (NIH) 76-879.Google Scholar