Isolation of a recombinant influenza virus (Hsw1N2) from swine in Japan
- 54 Downloads
Outbreaks of swine influenza were first observed in Japan in 1978. A number of influenza viruses were isolated from diseased swine. Almost all viruses isolated were swine influenza virus (Hsw1N1) but two viruses isolated from the nasal swabs of swine showing clinical signs of influenza in the Kanagawa prefecture were characterized antigenically as Hsw1N2. Analysis of swine sera showed that influenza virus Hsw1N2 was epidemic in the farm from which the virus had been isolated. The new virus (Hsw1N2) seems to have been produced by recombination between swine influenza virus (Hsw1N1) and Hong Kong influenza virus (H3N2).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Laver, W. C., Webster, R. C.: Studies on the origin of pandemic influenza. III. Evidence implicating duck and equine influenza viruses as possible progenitors of the Hong Kong strain of human influenza. Virology51, 383–391 (1973).Google Scholar
- 2.Palmer, D. F., Coleman, M. T., Dowdle, W. R., Shild, G. C: Advanced Laboratory Techniques for Influenza Diagnosis. Immunology Series. No. 6. 25–62 and 107–129. Atlanta, Georgia: U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health service, Center for Disease Control. 1975.Google Scholar
- 3.Russ, G., Varečková, E., Styk, B.: Steric effects in the reaction of influenza virus neuraminidase with antibodies. Acta virol.18, 299–306 (1974).Google Scholar
- 4.Sugimura, T., Kataoka, T., Kita, E., Nishino, K., Sasahara, J.: An outbreak of influenza in the swine with Hong Kong influenza virus. Virus25, 19–24 (1975).Google Scholar
- 5.Sugimura, T., Ogawa, T., Tanaka, Y., Kumagai, T.: Swine influenza in Japan. Nat. Inst. Anim. Health Quat. (In press.)Google Scholar
- 6.Webster, R. G., Cambell, C. H., Granoff, A.: The“in Vivo” production of “New” influenza virus. III. Isolation of recombinant influenza virus under simulated conditions of natural transmission. Virology51, 149–162 (1973).Google Scholar
- 7.Yamane, N., Arikawa, J., Odagiri, T., Kumasaka, M., Ishida, N.: Distribution of antibodies against swine and Hong Kong influenza viruses among pigs in 1977. Tohoku J. exp. Med.126, 199–200 (1978).Google Scholar