Kinetic study of alterations in the host RNA polymerase and protein synthesis during phage Xp 10 infection
- 23 Downloads
We monitored the compositional change of host RNA polymerase in Xp 10 infected cells by one-step immunoprecipitation with core enzymespecific antiserum. Results showed a rapid loss of σ subunit from the RNA polymerase complex by 3 min after infection. In addition, some putative binding proteins were reduced to various extents. In contrast, increasing levels of several other polypeptides were detected. The de novo host protein synthesis was inhibited within 1 min after Xp 10 infection. On the other hand, a sequential expression of phage specific proteins was found and can be categorized as early, middle, and late stage. The alteration of host RNA polymerase and the shutdown of early class proteins took place in parallel.
KeywordsInfectious Disease Protein Synthesis Polypeptide Late Stage Infected Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Costanzo M, Brustowicz L, Hannet N, Pero J (1984) Bacteriophage regulatory subunits ofBacillus subtilis RNA polymerase. J Mol Biol 180: 533–547Google Scholar
- 2.Dunn J, Studier FW (1983) Complete nucleotide sequence of bacteriophage T 7 DNA and the locations of T 7 genetic elements. J Mol Biol 166: 477–535Google Scholar
- 3.Fox TD, Pero J (1974) New phage-SP 01-induced polypeptides associated withBacillus subtilis RNA polymerase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 71: 2761–2765Google Scholar
- 4.Kassavetis GA, Geiduschek EP (1984) Defining a bacteriophage T 4 later promoter: Bacteriophage T 4 gene 55 suffices for directing late promoter recognition. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 81: 5101–5105Google Scholar
- 5.Liao YD, Kuo TT (1986) Loss of σ factor of RNA polymerase ofXanthomonas campestris pv.oryzae during phage Xp 10 infection. J Biol Chem 261: 13714–13719Google Scholar
- 6.Liao YD, Tu J, Feng TY, Kuo TT (1986) Characterization of phage-Xp 10-coded RNA polymerase. Eur J Biochem 157: 571–577Google Scholar
- 7.Liao YD, Tu J, Kuo TT (1987) Regulation of transcription of the Xp 10 genome in bacteriophage infectedXanthomonas campestris pv.oryzae. J Virol 61: 1695–1699Google Scholar
- 8.Zillig W, Figiki H, Blum W, Jane Kovic D, Schweiger M, Rahmsdorf HJ, Ponta H, Hirsch-Kauffmann M (1975) In vitro and in vivo phosphorylation of DNA-dependent RNA polymerase ofEscherichia coli by bacteriophage T 7 induced protein kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 72: 2506–2510Google Scholar