Morphology and immunoelectron microscopy of AIDS virus
- 63 Downloads
Lymphocytes infected with human T-lymphotropic virus type III/lymphadenopathy-associated virus were examined by thin-section and immunoelectron microscopy, with horseradish peroxidase as an electron-dense marker. There was no evidence of an intracytoplasmic virion precursor, but viral antigen accumulated at the plasma membrane. Particles formed at the plasma membrane, and most virus was found in extracellular spaces. Mature virus had an envelope with fuzzy surface projections surrounding a centric core and an electron-dense eccentric nucleoid.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barre-Sinoussi, F., Chermann, J. C., Rey, F.,et al.: Isolation of a T-lymphotropic retrovirus from a patient at risk for acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). Science220, 867–871 (1983).Google Scholar
- 2.Gallo, R. C., Salahuddin, S. Z., Popovic, M.,et al.: Frequent detection and isolation of cytopathic retroviruses (HTLV-III) from patients with AIDS and at risk for AIDS. Science224, 500 (1984).Google Scholar
- 3.Weiland, F., Bruns, M.: Ultrastructural studies on Maedi-Visna virus. Arch. Virol.64, 277–285 (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.Feorino, P. M., Kalyanaraman, V. S., Haverkos, H. W.,et al.: Lymphadenopathy associated virus infection of a blood donor-recipient pair with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Science225, 69–72 (1984).Google Scholar
- 5.Robert-Geroff, M., Kalyanaraman, V. S., Sargngashovan, M. G.: Radioimmunoassay for infectious primate retrovirus reverse transcriptase: characterization, comparison with conventional immunologic assays and applicability to cellular extracts. Int. J. Cancer25, 747–756 (1980).Google Scholar
- 6.Bohn, W.: A fixation method for improved antibody penetration in electron microscopical immunoperoxidase studies. J. Histochem. Cytochem.26, 293–297 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.Graham, R. C., Karnovsky, M. K.: The early stages of absorption of injected horseradish peroxidase in the proximal tubules of mouse kidney: ultrastructural cytochemistry by a new technique. J. Histochem. Cytochem.14, 291–302 (1966).Google Scholar
- 8.Adams, J. C.: Heavy metal intensification of DAB-based HRP reaction product. J. Histochem. Cytochem.29, 775 (1981).Google Scholar
- 9.Mathews, R. E. F.: The classification and nomenclature of viruses: summary of results of meetings of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses in Strasbourg. Intervirology16, 53–60 (1981).Google Scholar