Characterization of viruses which represent further distinct serotypes (PMV-8 and PMV-9) of avian paramyxoviruses
- 72 Downloads
Representatives of paramyxoviruses isolated from waterfowl in the U.S.A., goose/Delaware/1053/76, and Japan, pintail/Wakuya/20/78, were shown to be serologically closely related but distinct from other avian paramyxoviruses. Another isolate, from domestic ducks in the U.S.A., was shown to be representative of a further distinct serotype of avian paramyxoviruses. We propose that, in the current system of nomenclature these serotypes be designated PMV-8, for which the prototype strain would be PMV-8/goose/Delaware/1053/76 and PMV-9, for which the prototype strain would be PMV-9/domestic duck/New York/22/78.
KeywordsInfectious Disease Current System Prototype Strain Domestic Duck Avian Paramyxovirus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alexander, D. J.: Avian paramyxoviruses. Vet. Bull.50, 737–752 (1980).Google Scholar
- 2.Alexander, D. J., Collins, M. S.: The structural polypeptides of avian paramyxoviruses. Arch. Virol.67, 309–323 (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.Alexander, D. J., Hinshaw, V. S., Collins, M. S.: Characterization of viruses from doves representing a new serotype of avian paramyxoviruses. Arch. Virol.68, 265–269 (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.Cloud, S. S., Rosenberger, J. K.: Characterization of nine avian paramyxoviruses. Avian Dis.24, 139–152 (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.Hinshaw, V. S., Webster, R. G., Turner, B.: Novel influenza A viruses isolated from Canadian feral ducks; including strains antigenically related to swine influenza (Hsw 1 N 1) viruses. J. gen. Virol.41, 115–127 (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.Kida, H., Yanagawa, R.: Classification of avian paramyxoviruses by immuno-diffusion on the basis of antigenic specificity of theirm protein antigens. J. gen. Virol.52, 103–111 (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.Rosenberger, J. K., Krauss, W. C., Slemons, R. D.: Isolation of Newcastle disease and type A influenza viruses from migratory waterfowl in the Atlantic flyway. Avian Dis.18, 610–613 (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.Sandhu, T., Hinshaw, V.: Influenza A virus infection of domestic ducks. Proc. first int. symp. avian influenza, Beltsville, Maryland, 1981, 93–99 (1982).Google Scholar
- 9.Shortridge, K. F., Alexander, D. J., Collins, M. S.: Isolation and properties of viruses from poultry in Hong Kong which represented a new (sixth) distinct group of avian paramyxoviruses. J. gen. Virol.49, 255–262 (1980).Google Scholar
- 10.Yamane, N., Arikawa, J., Odagira, T., Ishida, N.: Characterization of avian paramyxoviruses isolated from feral ducks in Northern Japan: The presence of three distinct viruses in nature. Microbiol. Immun.26, 557–568 (1982).Google Scholar