Gastrospirillum hominis in asymptomatic, healthy individuals
- 14 Downloads
Gastrospirillum hominis is a spiral-shaped bacterium found in the stomach. It has been implicated as a possible cause of chronic gastritis. We report two cases ofG. hominis colonization observed in a series of 175 healthy, asymptomatic volunteers investigated forHelicobacter pylori. None of the volunteers has symptoms or a history of gastrointestinal disease. Both carriers ofG. hominis had histological signs of chronic, active antral gastritis. Multiple tests forH. pylori were negative. The prevalence of this spiral bacterium in healthy, asymptomatic individuals may be as low as in symptomatic persons.
Key WordsGastrospirillum hominis healthy subjects gastritis Helicobacter pylori prevalence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heilmann KL, Borchard F: Gastritis due to spiral shaped bacteria other thanHelicobacter pylori: Clinical, histological, and ultrastructural findings. Gut 32:137–140, 1991Google Scholar
- 2.McNulty CAM, Dent JC, Curry A, Uff JS, Ford JA, Gear MWL, Wilkinson SP: New spiral bacterium in gastric mucosa. J Clin Pathol 42:585–591, 1989Google Scholar
- 3.Merki HS, Meyer-Wyss B,Helicobacter Study Group: Prevalence ofHelicobacter pylori in asymptomatic subjects. Gastroenterology 100:A124, 1991Google Scholar
- 4.Dooley CP, Cohen H, Fitzgibbons PL, Bauer M, Appleman MD, Perez-Perez GI, Blaser MJ: Prevalence ofHelicobacter pylori infection and histologic gastritis in asymptomatic persons. N Engl J Med 321:1562–1566, 1989Google Scholar
- 5.Dent JC, McNulty CAM, Uff JS, Wilkinson SP, Gear MWL: Spiral organisms in the gastric antrum. Lancet II:96, 1987Google Scholar
- 6.Figura N, Guglielmetti P, Quaranta S: Spiral shaped bacteria in gastric mucosa. J Clin Pathol 43:173, 1990Google Scholar
- 7.Logan RPH, Polson RJ, Baron JH, Walker MM: New spiral bacterium in the gastric mucosa:Gastrospirillum hominis. J Clin Pathol 43:262–263, 1990 (letter, comment)Google Scholar
- 8.Dye KR, Marshall BJ, Frierson HF, Guerrant RL, McCallum RW: Ultrastructure of another spiral organism associated with human gastritis. Dig Dis Sci 34:1787–1791, 1989Google Scholar
- 9.Wegmann W, Aschwanden M, Schaub N, Aenishänslin W, Gyr K:Gastrospirillum-hominis-assoziierte Gastritis—eine Zoonose.Schweiz Med Wochenschr 121:245–254, 1991Google Scholar
- 10.Solnick JV, O'Rourke J, Lee A, Tompkins LS:Gastrospirillum is a new species ofHelicobacter in humans. Gastroenterology 102:A699, 1992Google Scholar