Acute pancreatitis as presenting symptom and sole manifestation of small cell lung carcinoma
- 26 Downloads
A 58-year-old man with no sign of pulmonary disease and a normal chest x-ray presented with acute pancreatitis resistant to conventional medical management and a mass in the head of the pancreas. The presumptive diagnosis was pancreatic cancer with tumor-induced pancreatitis. However, endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography suggested metastatic rather than primary tumor, so that an extrapancreatic primary was actively sought. Further lung work-up demonstrated a small cell carcinoma of the lung. This case indicates that metastasis-induced acute pancreatitis can be the presenting symptom and sole manifestation of lung cancer.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Line OH, Deeley TJ: The necropsy findings in carcinoma of the bronchus. Br J Dis Chest 65:238–242, 1971Google Scholar
- 2.Berge T, Toremalm NG: Bronchial cancer. A clinical and pathological study. Histopathology and metastases. Scand J Respir Dis 56:109–119, 1975Google Scholar
- 3.Levine M, Danovitch SH: Metastatic carcinoma to the pancreas. Another cause for acute pancreatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 60:290–294, 1973Google Scholar
- 4.Niccolini DG, Graham JH, Banks PA: Tumor-induced acute pancreatitis. Gastroenterology 71:142–145, 1976Google Scholar
- 5.Yeung KY, Haidak DJ, Brown JA, Anderson D: Metastasis-induced acute pancreatitis in small cell bronchogenic carcinoma. Arch Intern Med 139:552–554, 1979Google Scholar
- 6.McLatchie GR, Imrie CW: Acute pancreatitis associated with tumor metastases in the pancreas. Digestion 21:13–17, 1981Google Scholar
- 7.Gambill E: Pancreatitis associated with pancreatic carcinoma. Mayo Clin Proc 46:174–177, 1971Google Scholar
- 8.Roberts I, Chopra S, Warshaw AL: Carcinoma of the lung with marked hyperamylasemia and elevated serum calcitonin. Am J Gastroenterol 77:43–44, 1982Google Scholar
- 9.Lisa JR, Trinidad S, Rosenblatt MB: Pulmonary manifestations of carcinoma of the pancreas. Cancer 17:395–401, 1964Google Scholar
- 10.Reyes CV, Wang T: Undifferentiated small cell carcinoma of the pancreas. A report of five cases. Cancer 47:2500–2502, 1981Google Scholar
- 11.Moertel CG, Dockerty MG, Baggenstoss AH: Multiple primary malignant neoplasms. I. Introduction and presentation of data. Cancer 14:221–230, 1961Google Scholar
- 12.Ariyama J, Shirakabe H, Ikenobe H, Kurosawa A, Owman T: The diagnosis of the small resectable pancreatic carcinoma. Clin Radiol 28:437–444, 1977Google Scholar