A linear-time algorithm for edge-disjoint paths in planar graphs
- 243 Downloads
In this paper we discuss the problem of finding edge-disjoint paths in a planar, undirected graph such that each path connects two specified vertices on the boundary of the graph. We will focus on the “classical” case where an instance additionally fulfills the so-calledevenness-condition. The fastest algorithm for this problem known from the literature requiresO (n 5/3(loglogn)1/3) time, wheren denotes the number of vertices. In this paper now, we introduce a new approach to this problem, which results in anO(n) algorithm. The proof of correctness immediately yields an alternative proof of the Theorem of Okamura and Seymour, which states a necessary and sufficient condition for solvability.
Mathematics Subject Classification (1991)05 C 85 68 Q 35
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. C. Hu:Integer programming and network flows, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1969.Google Scholar
- M. Kaufmann, andG. Klär: A faster algorithm for edge-disjoint paths in planar graphs, In W. L. Hsu and R. C. T. Lee, editors,ISA'91 Algorithms, Second International Symposium on Algorithms, pages 336–348. Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 557, 1991.Google Scholar
- P. Klein, S. Rao, M. Rauch, andS. Subramanian: Faster shortest-path algorithms for planar graphs, Proceedings ofSTOC'94.Google Scholar
- T. Nishizeki, N. Saito, andK. Suzuki: A linear time routing algorithm for convex grids,IEEE Trans. Comp.-Aided Design, CAD-4:68–76, 1985.Google Scholar
- H. Suzuki, T. Akama, andT. Nishizeki: Finding Steiner forests in planar graphs. InProceedings of the 1st Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA'90, pages 444–453, 1990.Google Scholar
- K. Weihe: Multicommodity flows in even, planar networks, In K. W. Ng, P. Raghavan, N. V. Balasubramanian, and F. Y. L. Chin, editors,Algorithms and Computation, 4th International Symposium, ISAAC'93, pages 333–342. Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 762, 1993.Google Scholar
- D. Wagner, andK. Weihe: A linear time algorithm for edge-disjoint paths in planar graphs, In T. Lengauer, editor,First European Symposium on Algorithms, ESA'93, pages 384–395. Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 726, 1993.Google Scholar