Isolation, culture, and induction of embryogenesis in protoplasts from cell-suspensions ofAtropa belladonna
- 63 Downloads
Protoplasts isolated from actively growing cell-suspensions ofAtropa belladonna have been induced to divide repeatedly, and to undergo embryogenesis. An optimal protoplast yield of up to 80% was obtained in 4–5 hours by treating cell-suspensions with an enzyme mixture of cellulase R 10 (1%) and macerozyme R 10 (0.5%) in 0.6 M sorbitol at 30 °C. The protoplasts cultured at a density of 6 · 104/ml in a modifiedMurashige andSkoog's (1962) liquid medium supplemented with NAA (2 mg/l), kinetin (0.1 mg/l) and 0.5 M sorbitol, and incubated in the dark at 28 °C regenerated cell walls within 48 hours. They underwent first division in 3–4 days and formed cell clumps and colonies in 10 days, which when plated on an agar-solidified medium developed into masses of calli. After transfer to an auxin-free liquid medium these calli underwent embryogenesis within the next two weeks and eventually developed into plantlets.
KeywordsCell Wall Cellulase Liquid Medium Sorbitol Kinetin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bajaj, Y. P. S., 1976: Protoplast isolation, culture and somatic hybridization. In: Applied and fundamental aspects of plant cell, tissue and organ culture (J. Reinert, andY. P. S. Bajaj, eds.). Berlin-Heidelberg-New York: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Cocking, E. C., and J. F.Peberdy (eds.), 1974: The use of protoplasts from fungi and higher plants as genetic systems.—A practical handbook. Nottingham Univ.Google Scholar
- Gosch, G., Y. P. S. Bajaj, andJ. Reinert, 1975: Isolation, culture, and fusion studies on protoplasts from different species. Protoplasma85, 327–336.Google Scholar
- Grambow, H. J., K. N. Kao, R. A. Miller, andO. L. Gamborg, 1972: Cell division and plant development from protoplasts of carrot cell suspension cultures. Planta103, 348–355.Google Scholar
- Murashige, T., andF. Skoog, 1962: A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol. Plantarum15, 473–497.Google Scholar
- Reinert, J., G.Gosch, and Y. P. S.Bajaj, 1976: Induction of interspecific and intergeneric fusion of protoplasts from higher plants. (Under preparation.)Google Scholar
- Thomas, E., andH. E. Street, 1970: Organogenesis in cell suspension cultures ofAtropa belladonna L. andAtropa belladonna cultivar lutea Döll. Ann. Bot.34, 657–669.Google Scholar
- Vardi, A., P. Spiegel-Roy, andE. Galun, 1975: Citrus cell culture: Isolation of protoplasts, plating densities, effect of mutagens, and regeneration of embryos. Plant Sci. Letters4, 231–236.Google Scholar
- Wood, H. N., andA. C. Braun, 1961: Studies on the regulation of certain essential biosynthetic systems in normal and crown-gall tumor. Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. (U.S.A.)47, 1907–1913.Google Scholar