We give a new formula for the winding number of smooth planar curves and show how this can be generalized to curves on closed orientable surfaces. This gives a geometric interpretation of the notion of winding number due to B. Reinhart and D.R.J. Chillingworth.
KeywordsGeometric Interpretation Orientable Surface Planar Curf Closed Orientable Surface Smooth Planar Curf
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berger, M. and Gostiaux, B.,Differential Geometry; Manifolds, Curves and Surfaces, Springer, 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.Cairns, G., McIntyre, M. and Özdemir, M., ‘A 6 vertex theorem for bounding normal planar curves’ preprint.Google Scholar
- 3.Chillingworth, D. R. J., ‘Winding numbers on surfaces, I’,Math. Ann. 196 (1972), 218–249; II,199 (1972), 131–153.Google Scholar
- 4.Grünbaum, B. and Shepard, G. C., ‘Rotation and winding numbers for planar polygons and curves’,Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 322 (1990), 169–187.Google Scholar
- 5.Humphries, S. P. and Johnson, D., ‘A generalization of winding number functions on surfaces’,Proc. London Math. Soc. 58 (1989), 366–386.Google Scholar
- 6.Pastore, A. M., ‘Winding number and isotopies for closed curves onS 2’,Geom. Dedicata 17 (1984), 37–48.Google Scholar
- 7.Reinhart, B. L., ‘The winding number on two manifolds’,Ann. Inst. Fourier 10 (1960), 271–283.Google Scholar
- 8.Reinhart, B. L., ‘Algorithms for Jordan curves on compact surfaces’,Ann. Math. 75 (1962), 209–222.Google Scholar
- 9.Reinhart, B. L., ‘Further remarks on the winding number’,Ann. Inst. Fourier 13 (1963), 155–160.Google Scholar
- 10.Smale, S., ‘Regular curves on Riemannian manifolds’,Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 87 (1958), 492–512.Google Scholar
- 11.Spivak, M.,A Comprehensive Introduction to Differential Geometry, Vol. 3, Publish or Perish, Berkeley, 1979.Google Scholar
- 12.Whitney, H., ‘On regular closed curves in the plane’,Compositio Math. 4 (1937), 276–286.Google Scholar