Rectangles inscribed in symmetric continua
LetQ be any rectangle and letK ⊂ ℝ d (d ≥ 2) be a continuum which is either symmetric across a hyperplane or symmetric through a pointz ∉K. We show thatK contains the vertices of a rectangle similar toQ which exhibits the same symmetry as doesK.
Mathematics Subject Classification (1991)54-XX
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Christenson, C. O. and Voxman, W. L.:Aspects of Topology, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.Goodman, J. E., Pach, J. and Yap, C. K.: Mountain climbing, ladder moving, and the ring-width of a polygon,Amer. Math. Monthly 96 (1989), 494–510.Google Scholar
- 3.Kelley, J. L.:General Topology, D. Van Nostrand, Princeton, N.J., 1955.Google Scholar
- 4.Kuratowski, K.:Topology, Vol. II, Academic Press, New York, 1968.Google Scholar
- 5.Klee, V. and Wagon, S.:Old and New Unsolved Problems in Plane Geometry and Number Theory, Mathematical Association of America, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.Stromquist, W.: Inscribed squares and square-like quadrilaterals in closed curves,Mathematika 36 (1989), 187–197.Google Scholar