The effect of etoperidone, a new potential antidepressant drug, on the central serotonin system
- 24 Downloads
The effect of etoperidone-a non-tricyclic potential antidepressant drug-on the central serotonergic system was studied. It was demonstrated that this compound inhibited the head twitch reaction induced by 5-HTP in mice and rats (ED50 values amounted to 2.89 and 2.29 mg/kg i.p. respectively). In the flexor reflex preparation in spinal rats etoperidone used in doses lower than 1 mg/kg i.v. produced no effect, while doses of 1 mg/kg i.v. and higher had a stimulating action which occured 10–15 min after injection. This stimulating action was abolished by 5-HT antagonists (cyproheptadine, danitracen) and by the drug metabolism inhibitor SKF-525 A, but not by the 5-HT uptake inhibitor clomipramine. Etoperidone given in a dose of 0.5 mg/kg i.v. had no effect on the stimulating action of serotoninmimetics (LSD, quipazine, fenfluramine) on the flexor reflex, but it abolished the effect of LSD in rats pretreated with SKF-525A. The above findings indicate that etoperidone has a biphasic action on the serotonergic transmission, revealing characteristics of the 5-HT antagonist and agonist. The agonistic action is probably connected with the formation of a metabolite.
KeywordsClomipramine Stimulate Action Fenfluramine Serotonergic System Uptake Inhibitor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bolle, P., Angelucci, L., Ramacci, M. T. Brain amine levels in mice and rats treated with triazolinone. J. Pharmacol. (Paris)5, Suppl. 2, 9 (1974).Google Scholar
- Clineschmidt, B. V., Lotti, V. J. Indoleamine antagonists: relative potencies as inhibitors of tryptamine- and 5-hydroxytryptophan-evoked responses. Brit. J. Pharmacol.50, 311–313 (1974).Google Scholar
- Litchfield, J. T., Wilcoxon, F. A simplified method of evaluating dose-effect experiments. J. Pharmacol. exp. Ther.96, 99–113 (1949).Google Scholar
- Melzacka, M., Boksa, J., Maj, J.: m-Chlorophenyl-piperazine (CPP), a metabolite of trazodone isolated from urine of rats. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. (1979, in press).Google Scholar
- Ramacci, T., Ghirardi, O., Maccari, F., Pacifici, L., Sale, P.: Pharmacological evaluation of Δ2, 1, 2, 4-triazolin-5-one[1, 3(4-m-chlorophenyl-1-piperazinyl)-propyl]-3, 4-dietyhlhydrochloride (etoperidone), a new potenti antidepressant drug. Arzneim.-Forsch. (Drug Res.)29, 294–307 (197Google Scholar
- Testa, B., Jenner, P. Drug metabolism: chemical and biochemical aspects. Drugs and Pharmaceutical Sciences (Swarbrick, J., ed.), Vol. 4, pp. to 351. New York-Basel: Marcel Dekker. 1976.Google Scholar