For the first time Malfatti's old problem about arranging three non-overlapping circles of greatest total area in a triangle is solved.
KeywordsGreat Total Area
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Hadamard, Elementary Geometry Pt. I: Plane Geometry [Russian translation], Moscow (1957).Google Scholar
- 2.G. D. Balk and M. B. Balk, "Probability test," Kvant, No. 1, 20–25 (1972).Google Scholar
- 3.V. A. Zalgaller, "An inequality for acute triangles," Ukr. Geom. Sb., No. 34, 10–25 (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.G. A. Los', Malfatti's Optimization Problem [in Russian], Dep. Ukr. NIINTI July 5, 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Saaty, Integer Optimization Methods and Related Extremal Problems [Russian translation], Moscow (1973).Google Scholar
- 6.A. B. Kharazishvili, Introduction to Combinatorial Geometry [in Russian], Tbilisi (1985).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Dörrie, Triumph der Mathematik (Hundert berühmte Probleme aus zwei Jahrtausend mathematischer Kultur), Physica-Verlag, Würzburg (1958). [English translation: 100 Great Problems of Elementary Mathematics, Dover, New York (1965)].Google Scholar
- 8.H. Eves, in: A Survey of Geometry. 2, Allyn & Bacon (1965), pp. 50–66.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Gabai and E. Liban, "On Goldberg's inequality associated with the Malfatti problem," Math. Mag.,41, No. 5, 251–252 (1967).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Goldberg, "On the original Malfatti problem," Math. Mag.,40, No. 5, 241–247 (1967).Google Scholar
- 11.H. Lob and H. W. Richmond, "On the solutions of the Malfatti problem for a triangle," Proc. London Math. Soc.,2, No. 30, 287–301 (1930).Google Scholar
- 12.C. Malfatti, "Memoria sopra una problema stereotomico," Memoria di Matematica e di Fisica della Societa Italiana della Scienze,10, No. 1, 235–244 (1803).Google Scholar
- 13.A. Procissi, "Questioni connesse col problema di Malfatti e bibliografia," Period. Math.,4, No. 12, 189–205 (1932).Google Scholar
© Plenum Publishing Corporation 1994