An investigation of the replication of coronaviruses in suspension cultures of L132 cells
- 17 Downloads
A system is described for the study of the multiplication of two coronaviruses, both of human origin. Low efficiences of adsorption and infectious centre formation were observed. The viruses were found to have a 4–6 hour eclipse phase in L 132 cells at 33° C. Both viruses were completely inhibited by raising the incubation temperature to 39° C, and there was also a depression in the yield of virus at 30° C compared with control cultures maintained at 33° C. “Shift” experiments have indicated that the high temperature-sensitive event occurred fairly late on in the replicative cycle, but the time could not be accurately determined.
KeywordsInfectious Disease Suspension Culture Control Culture Incubation Temperature L132 Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Almeida, June D., andD. A. J. Tyrrell: The morphology of three previously uncharacterized respiratory viruses that grow in organ cultures. J. Virol.1, 175 (1967).Google Scholar
- Chany, C., andF. Robbe-Maridor: Enhancing effect of the murine sarcoma virus (MSV) on the replication of the mouse hepatitis virus (MHV)in vitro. Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. (N. Y.)131, 30 (1970).Google Scholar
- Crick, Joan., B. Cartwright, andF. Brown: Studies on the interference phenomenon in vesicular stomatitis replication. Arch. ges. Virusforsch.27, 235 (1969).Google Scholar
- Davis, E. V.: Continuous cultivation of isogenous cell lines from the human embryo. Fed. Proc.19, 57 (1960).Google Scholar
- Hamre, D., andJ. J. Procknow: A new virus isolated from the human respiratory tract. Proc. Soc. exp. Biol. (N. Y.)121, 190 (1966).Google Scholar
- Kapikian, A. Z., H. D. James, Sarah J. Kelly, Jane H. Dees, H. C. Turner, K. McIntosh, H. W. Kim, R. H. Parrott, M. M. Vincent, andR. M. Chanock: Isolation from man of “avian infectious bronchitis virus-like” viruses (Coronaviruses) similar to 229E virus, with some epidemiological observations. J. infect. Dis.119, 282 (1969).PubMedGoogle Scholar
- McIntosh, K., Jane H. Dees, W. B. Becker, A. Z. Kapikian, andR. M. Chanock: Recovery in tracheal organ cultures of novel viruses from patients with respiratory disease. Proc. nat. Acad. Sci. (Wash.)57, 933 (1967).Google Scholar
- Nature (Lond.) Coronaviruses.220, 650 (1968).Google Scholar
- Tyrrell, D. A. J., andM. L. Bynoe: Cultivation of a novel type of common cold virus in organ cultures. Brit. med. J.i, 1467 (1965).Google Scholar
- Tyrrell, D. A. J., M. L. Bynoe, andB. Hoorn: Cultivation of “difficult” viruses from patients with common colds. Brit. med. J.i, 606 (1968).Google Scholar