An inverse sturm-Liouville problem by three spectra
- 101 Downloads
It is shown that the potential of the Sturm-Liouville equation on interval [0,a] may be restored by the spectra of three boundary problems generated by the equation on the intervals [0,a], [0, 1/2a] and [1/2a,a], respectively. The algorithm of construction is given as well as the sufficient conditions for three sequences of real numbers to be the spectra of the mentioned boundary problems. The problem on [0,a] describes small vibrations of a smooth string with fixed ends. The problems on the half-intervals describe vibrations of the same string clamped at the point of equilibrium.
MSC Primary34A55 34B24 34B10 34L20 Secondary 73K03
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CH] R.Courant, D.Hilbert. Methods of Mathematical Physics, Vol.1, Interscience, New York, (1953).Google Scholar
- [GK] F.R.Gantmacher, M.G.Krein. Oscillating matrices and kernels and vibrations of mechanical systems (in Russian), GITTL, Moscow-Leningrad, (1950), German transl. Akademie Verlag, Berlin, (1960).Google Scholar
- [GS] F.Gesztesy, B.Simon. Inverse Spectral Analysis With Partial Information on the Potential, II. The Case of Discrete Spectrum, to be published.Google Scholar
- [H] O.Hald. Discontinuous inverse eigenvalue problems. Communs. on Pure and Appl. Math., Vol.37 (1984), P.537–577.Google Scholar
- [HL] H.Hochstadt, B.Lieberman. An inverse Sturm-Liouville problem with mixed given data, SIAM J. Appl. Math., Vol.34 (1978), P.676–680.Google Scholar
- [LL] B.Ja.Levin, Yu.I.Lyubarskii, Interpolation by entire functions of special classes and related expansions in series of exponents (in Russian), Izv. Acad. Sci. USSR, Vol.39, No.3 (1975), P.657–702.Google Scholar
- [LO] B.Ja.Levin, I.V.Ostrovskii, On small perturbations of sets of roots of sinus-type functions (in Russian), Izv. Akad. Nauk USSR, ser. Mat. Vol.43, (1979), p.87–110.Google Scholar
- [L] B.M.Levitan, Inverse Sturm-Liouville problems (in Russian), Moscow, Nauka (1984), 240 pp.Google Scholar
- [LG] B.M.Levitan, M.G.Gasymov, Determination of differential equation by two spectra (in Russian), Uspechi Math. Nauk, Vol.19, N 2/116 (1964), p.3–63.Google Scholar
- [M] V.A.Marchenko, Sturm-Liouville operators and applications, Birkhauser, OT, 22, 1986, 367 pp.Google Scholar