Thyroid hormones in insulin requiring diabetes before and after treatment
Thyroid hormones have been measured in normal subjects and insulin-requiring diabetic patients before and after treatment. Plasma thyroxine (T4) and 3, 3′, 5-triiodothyronine (T3) concentrations were both low in diabetics, with T3 frequently in the hypothyroid range, while 3, 3′, 5′-triiodothyronine (rT3) concentrations were elevated. All three returned to normal following treatment. T3 concentration was directly related to glucose utilization and metabolic clearance rate; and inversely related to plasma ketone body concentration. Thyroid hormone abnormalities in diabetes may reflect the degree of insulin-secreting capacity.
Key wordsThyroxine triiodothyronine reverse T3 glucose utilization glucose metabolic clearance rate ketones oxygen consumption cortisol insulin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Meinhold, H., Wenzel, K.W., Schürnbrand, P.: Radioimmunoassay of 3,3′,5′-triiodo-L-thyronine (reverse T3) in human serum and its application in different thyroid states.Google Scholar
- 3.Hall, R., Amos, J., Ormston, B.J.: Radioimmunoassay of human serum thyrotropin. Br. Med. J.1971 I, 582–585Google Scholar
- 6.Consolazio, C.F., Johnson, R.E., Pecora, L.J.: Physiological measurements of metabolic functions in man. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company 1963Google Scholar
- 7.Bailey, N.T.J.: Statistical Methods in Biology. London: English University Press 1959Google Scholar
- 8.Hall, S. E. H., Saunders, J., Sönksen, P. H.: Glucose and free fatty acid turnover in normal subjects and in diabetic patients before and after insulin treatment. (Submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- 11.Carter, J.N., Corcoran, J.M., Eastman, C.J., Lazarus, L.: Effect of severe chronic illness on thyroid function. Lancet1974 II, 971–974Google Scholar
- 12.Oppenheimer, J.H., Squef, R., Surks, M.I., Hauer, H.: Binding of thyroxine by serum proteins evaluated by dialysis and electro-phoretic techniques. Alterations in non-thyroidal illnesses. J. Clin. Invest.12, 1769–1782 (1963)Google Scholar
- 14.Nicoloff, J.T., Fisher, D.A., Appleman, M.D.: The role of glucocorticoids in the regulation of thyroid function in man. J. Clin. Invest.49, 1923–1929 (1970)Google Scholar
- 15.Carter, J.N., Eastman, C.J., Corcoran, J.M., Lazarus, L.: Inhibition of conversion of thyroxine to triiodothyronine in patients with severe chronic illness. Clin. Endocrinol. (Oxf.)5, 587–595 (1976)Google Scholar