Packet routing and job-shop scheduling inO(congestion+dilation) steps
In this paper, we prove that there exists a schedule for routing any set of packets with edge-simple paths, on any network, inO(c+d) steps, wherec is the congestion of the paths in the network, andd is the length of the longest path. The result has applications to packet routing in parallel machines, network emulations, and job-shop scheduling.
AMS subject classification code (1991)68 M 20 68 M 10 68 M 07
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N. Alon: A parallel algorithmic version of the Local Lemma. InProceedings of the 32nd Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (1991), 586–593.Google Scholar
- J. Beck: An algorithmic approach to the Lovász Local Lemma I.Random Structures and Algorithms, to appear.Google Scholar
- R. Koch, T. Leighton, B. Maggs, S. Rao, andA. Rosenberg: Work-preserving emulations of fixed-connection networks. InProceedings of the 21st Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing May 1989, 227–240.Google Scholar
- E. L. Lawler, J. K. Lenstra, A. H. G. Rinnooy Kan, andD. B. Shmoys: Sequencing and scheduling: Algorithms and complexity. Technical Report BS-R8909, Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, June 1989.Google Scholar
- F. T. Leighton:Introduction to Parallel Algorithms and Architectures: Arrays • Tree • Hypercubes. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA, 1992.Google Scholar
- F. T. Leighton, B. M. Maggs, A. G. Ranade, andS. B. Rao: Randomized routing and sorting on fixed-connection networks,Journal of Algorithms, to appear.Google Scholar
- T. Leighton, B. Maggs, andS. Rao: Fast algorithms for findingO(congestion+dilation) packet routing schedules. Manuscript in preparation.Google Scholar
- T. Leighton, B. Maggs, andS. Rao: Universal packet routing algorithms. InProceedings of the 29th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, IEEE Computer Society Press, October 1988, 256–271.Google Scholar
- A. G. Ranade: How to emulate shared memory. InProceedings of the 28th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, IEEE Computer Society Press, October 1987, 185–194.Google Scholar
- S. V. Sevast'yanov: Bounding algorithm for routing problem with arbitrary paths and alternate servers.Kibernetika 22(6) (1986), 74–79 Translation in Cybernetics22 773–780.Google Scholar
- D. B. Shmoys, C. Stein, andJ. Wein: Improved approximation algorithms for shop scheduling problems. InProceedings of the 2nd Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms January 1991, 148–157.Google Scholar
- J. Spencer:Ten Lectures on the Probabilistic Method. SIAM, Philadelphia, PA, 1987.Google Scholar