Chromosome abnormalities found among 34910 newborn children: results from a 13-year incidence study in Århus, Denmark
- 752 Downloads
As part of a larger prospective study of the influence of environmental factors on pregnancy, birth and the fetus, chromosome examinations have been made in 34910 newborn children in Århus over a 13-year period. Klinefelter's syndrome was found in 1 per 576 boys, XYY in 1 per 851 boys, triple-X in 1 per 947 girls and Turner's syndrome in 1 per 1893 girls. Other sex chromosome aberrations were found in 1 per 11637 children. The total incidence of sex chromosome abnormalities was 1 per 426 children or 2.34 per 1000. The most frequent autosomal abnormalities were that of Down's syndrome with 1 per 592 children, and reciprocal translocations with 1 per 712 children. The total incidence of autosomal abnormalities was 1 per 164 children. Chromosome abnormalities were found in 276 liveborn children and in 19 fetuses, who were aborted after prenatal chromosome examination. The combined incidence of sex chromosomal and autosomal abnormalities was 1 per 118 children or 8.45 per 1000 children.
KeywordsMetabolic Disease Chromosome Abnormality Chromosome Aberration Large Prospective Study Incidence Study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gravholt C, Friedrich U, Nielsen J (1991) Chromosomal mosaicism — a follow-up study of 39 unselected children found at birth. Hum Genet (in press)Google Scholar
- Nielsen J (1990) Follow-up of 25 unselected children with sex chromosome abnormalities till the age of 10–14 years. Birth Defects 76:201–207Google Scholar
- Nielsen J, Sillesen I (1975) Incidence of chromosome aberrations among 11148 newborn children. Hum Genet 30:1–12Google Scholar
- Nielsen J, Sørensen AM, Sørensen K (1982b) Follow-up until age 7 to 11 of 25 unselected children with sex chromosome abnormalities. Birth Defects 18:61–97Google Scholar
- Ratcliffe SG, Paul N (1986) Prospective studies on children with sex chromosome aneuploidy. Birth Defects 22:1–327Google Scholar
- Robinson A, Lubs HA, Bergsma D (1979) Sex chromosome aneuploidy: prospective studies on children. Birth Defects 15:1–281Google Scholar
- Stewart DA (1982) Children with sex chromosome aneuploidy: follow-up studies. Birth Defects 18:1–251Google Scholar
- Wohlert M (1989) Biologiske, sociale og organisatoriske forholds betydning for komplikationer i forbindelse med graviditet og fødsel. FaDL, AarhusGoogle Scholar