Finite-dimensional filters with nonlinear drift, VI: Linear structure of Ω
- 69 Downloads
Ever since the concept of estimation algebra was first introduced by Brockett and Mitter independently, it has been playing a crucial role in the investigation of finite-dimensional nonlinear filters. Researchers have classified all finite-dimensional estimation algebras of maximal rank with state space less than or equal to three. In this paper we study the structure of quadratic forms in a finite-dimensional estimation algebra. In particular, we prove that if the estimation algebra is finite dimensional and of maximal rank, then the Ω=(∂f j /∂x i −∂f i /∂x j )matrix, wheref denotes the drift term, is a linear matrix in the sense that all the entries in Ω are degree one polynomials. This theorem plays a fundamental role in the classification of finite-dimensional estimation algebra of maximal rank.
Key wordsFinite-dimensional filters Nonlinear drift Estimation algebra of maximal rank
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [B]R. W. Brokett, Nonlinear systems and nonlinear estimation theory, inThe Mathematics of Filtering and Identification and Applications, M. Hazewinkel and J. C. Willems, eds., Reidel, Dordrecht, 1981.Google Scholar
- [BC]R. W. Brockett and J. M. C. Clark, The geometry of the conditional density functions, inAnalysis and Optimization of Stochastic Systems, O. L. R. Jacobset al, eds., Academic Press, New York, 1980, pp. 299–309.Google Scholar
- [C]M. Cohen De Lara, Contribution des methods geometriques au filtrage de dimension finie, Ph.D. thesis, Ecole des Mines de Paris, 1991.Google Scholar
- [DM]M. H. A. Davis and S. I. Marcus, An introduction to nonlinear filtering, inThe Mathematics of Filtering and Identification and Applications, M. Hazewinkel and J. C. Willems, eds., Reidel, Dordrecht, 1981, pp. 53–75.Google Scholar
- [DWY]R. T. Dong, W. S. Wong, and S. S.-T. Yau, Filtering systems with finite dimensional estimation algebras, Preprint, 1995.Google Scholar
- [H]H. Hazewinkel, Lecture on linear and nonlinear filtering, inAnalysis and Estimation of Stochastic Mechanical Systems, CISM Courses and Lectures, vol. 303, W. Shiehlen and W. Wedig, eds., Springer-Verlag, Vienna, 1988, pp. 103–135.Google Scholar
- [O]D. Ocone, Finite dimensional estimation algebras in nonlinear filtering, inThe Mathematics of Filtering and Identification and Applications, M. Hazewinkel and J. C. Willems, eds., Reidel, Dordrecht, 1981, pp. 629–636.Google Scholar
- [R]B. L. Rozovsky, Stochastic partial differential equations arising in nonlinear filtering problem (in Russian),Uspekhi Mat. Nauk. 27 (1972), 213–214.Google Scholar
- [YL]S. S.-T. Yau and C. W. Leung, Recent result on classification of finite dimensional maximal rank estimation algebras with state space dimension 3,Proceedings of the 31st Conference on Decision and Control, Tucson, Arizona, Dec. 1992, pp. 2247–2250.Google Scholar