One-dimensional classical massive particle in the ideal gas
- 83 Downloads
The motion of a one-dimensional massive particle under the action of collisions with points of the ideal gas is considered. It is shown that the normed displacement of the massive particle is represented asymptotically as the difference of random variables having limit Gauss distribution. Estimations of the diffusion coefficient not depending on the mass are found.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alder, B.J., Alley, W.E.: Generalized hydrodynamics. Physics Today, January, pp. 56–63 (1984)Google Scholar
- 2.Alder, B.J., Wainwright, T.E.: Velocity autocorrelation function for hard spheres in 2 and 3 dimensions. Phys. Rev. A1, 8–20 (1970)Google Scholar
- 3.Cornfield, I.P., Fomin, S.V., Sinai, Ya.G.: Ergodic theory. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: Springer 1982Google Scholar
- 4.Doob, J.L.: Stochastic proocesses. New York: Wiley 1953Google Scholar
- 5.Fedele, P.D., Kim, Y.W.: Direct measurement of the velocity autocorrelation function for a Brownian test particle. Phys. Rev. Lett.44, 691–694 (1980); Evidence for failure of Millikan's law of particle fall in gases. Phys. Rev. Lett.48, 403–4–6 (1982)Google Scholar
- 6.Gihman, I.I., Skorohod, A.V.: Theory of random processes. Vols. I–III. Moscow: Nauka 1971Google Scholar
- 7.Harris, T.E.: J. Appl. Prob.2, 323 (1965)Google Scholar
- 8.Major, P., Szasz, D.: On the effect of collisions on the motion of an atom inR 1. Ann. Probab.8, 1068–1078 (1980)Google Scholar
- 9.Sinai, Ya.G.: Construction of dynamics in one-dimensional systems of statistical mechanics. Theor. Math. Phys.11, 248–258 (1972)Google Scholar
- 10.Szasz, D., Toth, B.: Bounds for the limiting variance of the “Heavy Particle” inR 1. Commun. Math. Phys.104, 445–455 (1986)Google Scholar
- 11.Wiener, N.: Differential space. J. Math. Phys.2, 131–174 (1923)Google Scholar