A Citizens' Conference on Gene Therapy in Japan: A Feasibility Study of the Consensus Conference Method in Japan
- 47 Downloads
An experimental consensus conference on the topic of gene therapy was held in order to discover whether the method, a means for participatory technology assessment born in Denmark in 1986, could be feasible in Japan. This article summarises the overall experience of this experiment and concludes that the method is indeed feasible in Japan. Enumerating some issues and problems we faced in this project, I will discuss their meaning and significance from the viewpoint of practitioner or initiator of participatory technology assessment in Japan.
Key WordsConsensus conference Gene therapy Participatory technology assessment Public participation Technology assessment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Joss, S. and Durant, J. (eds) (1995). Public participation in Science: The Role of Consensus Conferences in Europe. Science Museum, London, with the support of the European Commission Directorate General XII.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, T. (1997). Possibility of Enlarged Peer Review: The Case of Consensus Conferences, STS Network Yearbook '97. 5–17 (In Japanese).Google Scholar
- Sugiyama, S. (1998). Kagaku Gijutsu nimo Informed Consent wo [Informed Consent in Science and Technology],. In Ogawa, M. (ed.) Madoi no Tekunoroji Kagaku Gijutu Shakai wo do Ikiruka [Bewildering Technology: How do we Live in the Science and Technology Driven Society]. Toyokan Shuppansha.Google Scholar
- Tanaka, Y. and Hirasawa, R. (1996). Features of Policy-Making Processes in Japan's Council for Science and Technology,Research Policy.25, 999–1011.Google Scholar
- Wakamatsu, Y. (1993). Denmark no Consensus Kaigi: Kagaku to Shakai wo do Tsunaguka [The Danish Consensus Conference:-How we can Relate Science and Society],Kagakugijutsu Journal.2(2). 22–24.Google Scholar
- Wakamatsu, Y. (1997). Shiroto wa Kagaku Gijutsu wo Hyoka dekiruka? [Can Laymen Evaluate Science and Technology?], Gendaishiso. May. 47–57.Google Scholar
- Yokoyama., H. (1997). Idenshi no Shikumi to Fusigi [The Mechanism and Wonder of Genes]. Nihon Bungeisha.Google Scholar