A fractional version of the Erdős-Faber-Lovász conjecture
- 155 Downloads
LetH be any hypergraph in which any two edges have at most one vertex in common. We prove that one can assign non-negative real weights to the matchings ofH summing to at most |V(H)|, such that for every edge the sum of the weights of the matchings containing it is at least 1. This is a fractional form of the Erdős-Faber-Lovász conjecture, which in effect asserts that such weights exist and can be chosen 0,1-valued. We also prove a similar fractional version of a conjecture of Larman, and a common generalization of the two.
AMS subject classification code (1991)Primary: 05 C 65 Secondary: 05 B 40 05 C 70
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Berge: On the chromatic index of a linear hypergraph and the Chvátal conjecture, in:Combinatorial Mathematics: Proceedings of the Third International Conf (New York, 1985), 40–44,Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 555 New York Acad. Sci., New York, 1989.Google Scholar
- N. G. De Bruijn, andP. Erdős: A combinatorial problem,Indagationes Math. 8 (1946), 461–467.Google Scholar
- P. Erdős: On the combinatorial problems which I would most like to see solved,Combinatorica 1 (1981), 25–42.Google Scholar
- Z. Füredi: Matchings and coverings in hypergraphs,Graphs and Combinatorics 4 (1988), 115–206.Google Scholar
- Z. Füredi: The chromatic index of simple hypergraphs,Graphs and Combinatorics 2 (1986), 89–92.Google Scholar
- D. G. Larman: Convexity and Graph Theory, (Rosenfeld and Zaks eds.),Annals of Discrete Math. 20 (1984), 336.Google Scholar
- T. Z. Motzkin.: The lines and planes connecting the points of a finite set,Trans Amer. Math. Soc. 70 (1951), 451–469.Google Scholar
- P. D. Seymour: Packing nearly-disjoint sets,Combinatorica 2 (1982), 91–97.Google Scholar
- V. G. Vizing: On an estimate, of the chromatic class of ap-graph (Russian),Discret. Analiz 3 (1964), 25–30.Google Scholar