Optimal fastener pattern design considering bearing loads
- 151 Downloads
In many engineering structures, failure occurs either at the connection itself or in the component at the point of attachment of the connection. To extend the service life of the structure it is important to ensure that the loads borne by the connections are distributed as uniformly as possible. This would also minimize the possibility of localized high stress regions within the component. In this work a topology optimization based approach has been developed to incorporate fastener load constraints into a problem formulated for optimal location of fasteners. The computational results indicate that it is effective in reducing the maximum fastener loads without compromising on the overall stiffness of the structure.
KeywordsCivil Engineer Computational Result Service Life High Stress Optimal Location
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chickermane, H.; Gea, H. 1995: Topology optimization of mechanical repairs for aging aircraft. In:Computational Mechanics '95 (Proc. Int. Conf. on Computational Engineering Science, (held in Hawaii), Vol. 2, pp. 2171–2176. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York: SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Chickermane, H.; Gea, H.C. 1996: A new local function approximation method for structural optimization problems.Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engrg. 39, 829–846Google Scholar
- Chickermane, H.; Gea, H. 1997: Design of multi-component structural systems for optimal layout topology and joint locations.Engrg. with Computers 13, 235–243Google Scholar
- Eshelby, J. 1957: The determination of the elastic field of an ellipsoidal inclusion and related problems.Proc. Roy. Soc. A241, 379–396Google Scholar
- Gea, H.C. 1996: Topology optimization: A new micro-structure based design domain method.Comp. & Struct. 61, 781–788Google Scholar
- Jiang, T.; Chirehdast, M. 1996: A systems approach to structural topology optimization: designing optimal connection.Proc. ASME Design Technical Conf. and Computers in Engineering Conf. (held in Irvine, CA)Google Scholar
- Johanson, R.; Papalambros, P.; Kikuchi, N. 1994: Simultaneous topology and material microstructure design. In:Advances in structural optimization (proc. 2-nd World Cong. on Computational Structures Technology, held in Athens)Google Scholar
- Mori, T.; Tanaka, K. 1973: Average stress in matrix and average elastic energy of materials with midfitting inclusions.ACTA Metallurgica 21, 571–574Google Scholar
- Weng, G.J. 1984: Some elastic properties of reinforced solids, with special reference to isotropic ones containing isotropic inclusions.Int. J. Engrg. Sci. 22, 845–856Google Scholar
- Yang, R.; Rui, Y.; Mohammed, A.; Singh, G. 1996 Spot weld/adhesive pattern optimization.Proc. ASME Design Technical Conf. and Computers in Engineering Conf. (held in Irvine, CA)Google Scholar