On the deque conjecture for the splay algorithm
- 71 Downloads
Almost tight lower and upper bounds on the maximum numbers of occurrences of various types of right rotations in a sequence of right rotations performed on a binary tree. In particular, the lower bound for right 2-turns refutes Sleator's Right Turn Conjecture.
A linear times inverse Ackerman upper bound for the Deque Conjecture. This bound is derived using the above upper bounds.
Two new proofs of the Scanning Theorem, one, a simple potential-based proof that solves Tarjan's problem of finding a potential-based proof for the theorem, the other, an inductive proof that generalizes the theorem.
AMS subject classification code (1991)68 P 05 68 R 05
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Cole: On the Dynamic Finger Conjecture for Splay Trees. In Proc. 22nd ACM STOC, 1990, 8–17.Google Scholar
- R. Cole: On the Dynamic Finger Conjecture for Splay Trees. Part II: Finger searching. Courant Institute Technical Report No.472, 1989.Google Scholar
- R. Cole, B. Mishra, J. Schmidt, andA. Siegel: On the Dynamic Finger Conjecture for Splay Trees. Part I: Splay-sorting logn-block sequences. Courant Institute Technical Report No.471, 1989.Google Scholar
- K. Culik II, andD. Wood: A note on some tree similarity measures.Info. Proc. Lett. 15 (1982), 39–42.Google Scholar
- S. Hart, andM. Sharir: Nonlinearity of Davenport-Shinzel sequences and of generalized path compression schemes.Combinatorica 6 (1986), 151–177.Google Scholar
- J. M. Lucas: Arbitrary splitting in Splay Trees. Rutgers University Tech. Rept. No.TR-234, June 1988.Google Scholar
- D. D. Sleator, andR. E. Tarjan: Self-adjusting binary search trees.J. ACM 32 (1985), 652–686.Google Scholar
- D. D. Sleator, R. E. Tarjan, andW. P. Thurston: Rotation distance, Triangulations, and Hyperbolic Geometry.J. Amer. Math. Soc. 1 (1988), 647–681.Google Scholar
- R. E. Tarjan: Sequential access in Splay Trees takes linear time.Combinatorica 5 (1985), 367–378.Google Scholar
- R. E. Tarjan: Amortized computational complexity.SIAM J. Appl. Discrete Meth. 6 (1985), 306–318.Google Scholar
- R. Wilber: Lower bounds for accessing binary search trees with rotations.SIAM J. on Computing 18 (1989), 56–67.Google Scholar