Elasto-plastic analysis of an anisotropic rotating disc
- 64 Downloads
A finite strain investigation is presented for the axially-symmetric plane-stress problem of a rotating annular disc. Material behaviour is modelled by an elasto-plastic deformation type theory based on a new anisotropic flow theory proposed by Hill. It is shown that the governing field equations can be reduced to a system of two coupled linear differential equations. The solution of that system is obtained numerically using a standard procedure. The analysis is not restricted to any particular choice of the strain hardening characteristic, and covers the entire elasto-plastic domain.
Detailed results are derived, as an example, for a disc made of soft aluminum. The existence of a critical (maximum) angular velocity is demonstrated over a wide range of radii ratio.
KeywordsFluid Dynamics Angular Velocity Field Equation Material Behaviour Linear Differential Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Nadai, A., Donnell, L. H.: Stress distribution in rotating disks of ductile material after the yield point has been reached. A.S.M.E. Trans.51, 173–180 (1929).Google Scholar
- Lee Wu, M. H.: Analysis of plane-plastic-stress problems with axial symmetry in strain hardening range. NACA TR1021 (1951).Google Scholar
- Feng, W. W.: Finite deformation of anisotropic plastic rotating disks. AIAA J.16, 1205–1207 (1978).Google Scholar
- Hill, R.: The mathematical theory of plasticity, chapt. XII. Oxford University Press 1950.Google Scholar
- Zaid, M.: Fully plastic rotating disc with large strains. J. Aero. Sci.20, 369–377 (1953).Google Scholar
- Weiss, H. J., Prager, W.: The bursting speed of a rotating plastic disc. J. Aero. Sci.21, 196–200 (1954).Google Scholar
- Percy, M. J., Mellor, P. B.: Theoretical prediction of tensile instability conditions in rotating disks. Int. J. Mech. Sci.6, 421–434 (1964).Google Scholar
- Hill, R.: Theoretical plasticity of textured aggregates.Math. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc.85, 179–191 (1979).Google Scholar
- Durban, D., Birman, V.: On the elasto-plastic stress concentration at a circular hole in an anisotropic sheet. Acta Mechanica43, 73–84 (1982).Google Scholar
- Lo, K. K., Abeyaratne, R.: Finite elastic-plastic deformation of a rotating hollow cylinder. J. Appl. Mech.48, 666–668 (1981).Google Scholar
- Durban, D.: Large strain solution for pressurized elasto-plastic tubes. J. Appl. Mech.46, 228–230 (1979).Google Scholar
- Tvergaard, V.: On the burst strength and necking behaviour of rotating discs. Int. J. Mech. Sci.20, 109–120 (1978).Google Scholar