A first-order modal logic is given for describing properties of processes which may send and receive values or messages along communication ports. We give two methods for proving that a process enjoys such a property. The first is the construction, for each processP and formulaF, of acharacteristic formula P satF such thatP enjoys the propertyF if and only if the formulaP satF is logically equivalent to tt. The second is a sound and complete proof system whose judgements take the formB ⊢P: F, meaning: under the assumptionB the processP enjoys the propertyF.
The notion ofsymbolic operational semantics plays a crucial role in the design of both the characteristic formulae and the proof system.
KeywordsInformation System Operating System Crucial Role Data Structure Communication Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CPS88]R. Cleaveland, J. Parrow, B. Steffen: The concurrency workbench. University of Edinburgh, Scotland, 1988Google Scholar
- [GLZ89]J.C. Godskesen, K.G. Larsen, M. Zeeberg: Tav — tools for automatic verification — users manual. Technical Report R 89-19, Department of Matheamtics and Computer Science, Aalborg University, 1989. Presented at workshop on Automatic Methods for Finite State, Systems, Grenoble, France, Juni 1989Google Scholar
- [GS86]S. Graf, J. Sifakis: A logic for the description of non-deterministic programs and their properties. Information and Control, 68 (1–3), 1986Google Scholar
- [Hen91]M. Hennessy: A proof system for communicating processes with value-passing.Formal Aspects of Computer Science, 3:346–366, 1991Google Scholar
- [HL92]M. Hennessy, H. Lin: Symbolic bisimulation. Technical Report Technical Report 1/92, School of Congnitive and Computing Sciences, University of Sussex, 1992Google Scholar
- [HL93]M. Hennessy, X. Liu: A modal logic for message passing processes. Technical Report Technical Report 3/93, School of Congnitive and Computing Sciences, University of Sussex 1993Google Scholar
- [IT92]A. Ingolfsdottir, B. Thomsen: Semantic models for ccs with values. Technical Report 63, Programming Methodology Group, Chalmers University of Technology, 1992. In Proceedings of the Workshop on ConcurrencyGoogle Scholar
- [Lar88]K.G. Larsen: Proof systems for Hennessy-Milner logic with recursion.Lecture Notes In Computer Science, Springer Verlag, 299, 1988. in Proceedings of 13th Colloquium on Trees in Algebra and Programming 1988Google Scholar
- [Lin93]H. Lin: A verification tool for value-passing processes. Technical report, School of Congnitive and Computing Sciences, University of Sussex, 1993. To appearGoogle Scholar
- [Mil89]R. Milner:Communication and Concurrency. Prentice-Hall, 1989Google Scholar
- [MPW92]R. Milner, J. Parrow, D. Walker: Modal logics for mobile processes.Theoretical Computer Science, 1992. To appearGoogle Scholar
- [SI91]B. Steffen, A. Ingolfsdottir: Characteristic formulae for processes with divergence. Technical Report Technical Report 1/91, School of Congnitive and Computing Sciences, University of Sussex, 1991Google Scholar
- [Sti87]C. Stirling: Modal logics for communicating systems.Theoretical Computer Science, (311–347), 1987Google Scholar