On the generation of water waves by cylindrical porous wave maker
- 159 Downloads
By the direct application of Havelock's expansion theorem and exploitation of various properties of Bessel functions, the problem of generation of cylindrical surface waves, in the case of water of infinite depth, in the presence of an impermeable circular cylinder surrounded by a co-axial permeable cylinder immersed vertically in the fluid region, is investigated. The wave motion is generated due to the simple harmonic motion in the radial direction of the (i) inner impermeable cylinder and (ii) co-axial permeable cylinder, when one of the two cylinders is kept fixed. As an application, the problem of scattering of water waves is analyzed when both the cylinders are kept fixed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Havelock, T. H.: Forced surface waves on water. Phil. Mag.8, 569–576 (1929).Google Scholar
- Ursell, F., Dean, R. G., Yu, Y. S.: Forced small-amplitude water waves: a comparison of theory and experiment. J. Fluid Mech.7, 33 (1960).Google Scholar
- Rhodes-Robinson, P. F.: On the forced surface waves due to a vertical wave maker in the presence of surface tension. Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc.70, 323–337 (1971).Google Scholar
- Mandal, B. N., Chakrabarti, A.: The plane vertical wave maker problem revisited. Appl. Math. Lett.1, 255–258 (1988).Google Scholar
- Chwang, A. T.: A porous wave maker theory. J. Fluid Mech.32, 395–406 (1983).Google Scholar
- Chwang, A. T., Li, W.: A piston type porous wave maker theory. J. Eng Math.17, 301–313 (1983).Google Scholar
- Gorgui, M. A., Faltas, M. S.: Forced surface waves in the presence of porous walls. Acta Mech.79, 259–275 (1989).Google Scholar
- Chakrabarti, A., Sahoo, T.: Reflection of water waves by a nearly vertical porous wall. J. Aust. Math. Soc. Ser. B37, 417–429 (1996).Google Scholar
- Gorgui, M. A., Faltas, M. S.: Forced surface waves in the presence of finite cylindrical porous walls. Int. J. Engng Sci.32, 1399–1407 (1994).Google Scholar
- Gradshteyn, I. S., Ryzhik, I. M.: Tables of integral, series and products. New York: Academic Press 1982.Google Scholar