Molecular structure of tetrapropylammonium-2,3-dichloro-5,6-dicyano-p-benzoquinone compared toM+ TCNQ− (M+=Rb+, K+, Cs+, or organic cations; TCNQ−=tetracyanoquinomethane) charge-transfer complexes
- 41 Downloads
The crystal and molecular structure of tetrapropylammonium-2,3-dichloro-5,6-dicyano-p-benzoquinone (TPA+ DDQ−) has been determined from single-crystal X-ray diffraction analysis. The crystals are monoclinic, space groupP21/n, witha=13.297(5),b=12.851(4),c=13.099(5) Å,β=101.34(2)°, andZ=4. The compound consists of discrete (DDQ) 2 2− anion dimers and two TPA+ cations inserted between the (DDQ) 2 2− dimers, with an infinite stack running along b of the type ⋯(DDQ) 2 2− [(C3H7)4N+] (DDQ) 2 2− 2[(C3H7)4N+]⋯
The (DDQ) 2 2− anion is formed by two DDQ− anions dimerized through a crystallographic center of symmetry; each DDQ− moiety is nearly planar and exhibits molecular dimensions similar to those found in analogous compounds. The comparison between the (DDQ) 2 2− anion and a neutral DDQ molecule clearly shows that bond lengths are markedly influenced by the 2-anionic charge. Tetrapropylammomum cation assumes a distorted tetrahedral configuration as observed in TEA+ DDQ− (TEA+=tetraethylammonium cation). The data are discussed in connection with the electrical conductivity of “organic metals”.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gordon, D., and Hove, J. (1973)J. Chem. Phys. 59, 3419.Google Scholar
- Hibma, Tj., and Kommandeur, J. (1975)Phys. Rev. 12, 2608.Google Scholar
- International Tables for X-Ray Crystallography, Vol. 4 (1974) (Kynoch, Birmingham, England), p. 99.Google Scholar
- Khidekel, M. L., and Zhilyaeva, E. I. (1981)Synth. Metals 4, 1.Google Scholar
- Mayerle, J. J., and Torrance, J. B. (1981)Bull. Chem. Jap. 54, 3170.Google Scholar
- North, A. C. T., Phillips, D. C., and Mathews, F. S. (1968)Acta Crystallogr. A24, 351.Google Scholar
- Pasimeni, L., Brustolon, M., Zanonato, P. L., and Corvaja, C. (1980)Chem. Phys.,51, 381.Google Scholar
- Sheldrick, G. M. (1976)SHELX-76, System of Computing Programs (University of Cambridge, Cambridge, England).Google Scholar
- Zanotti, G., Bardi, R., and Del Prà, A. (1980)Acta Crystallogr. B36, 168.Google Scholar
- Zanotti, G., Del Prà, A., and Bozio, R. (1982)Acta Crystallogr. B38, 1225.Google Scholar