Adsorption as Gibbs excess and as total content
- 71 Downloads
An analysis has been made of such basic concepts of physical adsorption as the total and excess adsorption, through which it has become possible to establish a physically justified boundary of the region of inhoraogeneity.
A relationship has been derived for the calculation of the extent of the region of inhomogeneity at the interface. Estimates have been performed for certain adsorption systems, indicating that the. thickness of the region of inhomogeneity is no more than a few units of molecular diameter of the adsorbate.
KeywordsBasic Concept Total Content Physical Adsorption Adsorption System Molecular Diameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. W. Gibbs, Thermodynamics, Statistical Mechanics [Russian translation], Nauka, Moscow (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.E. A. Guggenheim, Modern Thermodynamics, Set Forth by the Method of W. Gibbs [Russian translation], GNTI, Moscow-Leningrad (1941).Google Scholar
- 3.Ya. I. Gerasimov (ed.), Course in Physical Chemistry, Vol, 1 [in Russian], 2nd edn., Khimiya, Moscow (1969).Google Scholar
- 4.A. A. Lipatkin, Theoretical Principles of Physical Adsorption [in Russian], Izd. MGU, Moscow (1983).Google Scholar
- 5.A. I. Rusanov, S. A. Levichev, and V. T. Zharov, Surface Separation of Substances — Theory and Methods [in Russian], Khimiya, Leningrad (1981).Google Scholar
- 6.V. A. Avramenko, V. Yu. Glushchenko, and V. V. Khabalov, One Hundred Years of the Gibbs Capillarity Theory [in Russian], Material from the 2nd All-Union Conference on Surface Phenomena in Liquids, Izd. LGU, Leningrad (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.V. G. Levich, Introduction to Statistical Physics [in Russian], 2nd edn., GITTL, Moscow (1954).Google Scholar
- 8.I. Z. Fisher and V. K. Prokhorenko, in: Critical Phenomena and Fluctuations in Solutions [in Russian], M. I. Shakhparonov, ed., Izd. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Moscow (1960).Google Scholar