Observation of slip transmission through a grain boundary in ice
In-situ X-ray topography has been used to provide the first clear demonstration of slip transmission through a grain boundary in hexagonal ice. Although the ice was deformed under creep conditions, the relative orientation of the grains and the orientation of the grain boundary with respect to the loading direction discouraged grain boundary sliding and, thus, suppressed dislocation nucleation at the grain boundary. This particular geometrical arrangement is rarely encountered, suggesting that slip transmission through grain boundaries in ice is a rare event.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Ahmad, M. Ohtomo andR. W. Whitworth,Nature 319 (1986) 659.Google Scholar
- 2.F. Liu, I. Baker, G. Yao andM. Dudley,Phil. Mag. Lett. 65 (1992) 279.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Liu, I. Baker andM. Dudley,Phil. Mag. A 67 (1993) 1261.Google Scholar
- 4.Idem, Phil. Mag. 71 (1995) 15.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Liu andI. Baker,Meas. Sci. Technol. 4 (1993) 416.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Shearwood andR. W. Whitworth,Phil. Mag. A 64 (1991) 289.Google Scholar
- 7.F. Liu andI. Baker,Microsc. Soc. Amer. Bull. 24 (1994) 351.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Oguro andT. Hondoh, in “Lattice Defects in Ice Crystals”, edited by A. Higashi (Hokkaido University Press, Sapporo, Japan, 1988) p. 54.Google Scholar
- 9.I. Baker andF. Liu, in Proceedings of the Materials Research Society, 1994, Vol.319, (Materials Research Society) p. 203.Google Scholar
- 10.X. Baillin, J. Pelissier, J. J. Bacmann, A. Jacques andA. George,Phil. Mag. A 55 (1987) 143.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Jacques, H. A. Benhoma, A. George andX. Baillin, in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Intergranular and Interphase Boundaries, Material Science Forum, 1993, Vol. 126–128, p. 333.Google Scholar
- 12.H. M. Michaud, X. Baillin, A. Jacques, H. A. Benhoma andA. George, in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Intergranular and Interphase Boundaries, Material Science Forum, 1993, Vol. 126–128, p. 491.Google Scholar