An interview with John Christopher
- 62 Downloads
John Christopher is a well known, prize-winning writer. His adult novelThe Death of Grass was runner-up for the International Fantasy Award when Tolkien'sThe Lord of the Rings won first prize. Similarly his children'sTripods trilogy,The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, andThe Pool of Fire, were all runners-up to the Guardian Award, whileThe Guardians won the Guardian award for 1971. HisSword trilogy, “The Prince in Waiting,” “Beyond the Burning Lands,” and “The Sword of the Spirits,” has been reissued by Puffin in a single volume. Some critics, such as John Rowe Townsend (inWritten for Children), have accused John Christopher of an underlying pessimism, or of male chauvinism. Christopher has not replied to these criticisms. He prefers to let his books speak for themselves. Unlike other writers who keep a high public profile, he has not spoken at conferences on children's literature or published essays which present or defend his point of view.
Early in 1983 I wrote to John Christopher. What began as a simple fan letter developed into a series of questions, which he was kind enough to reply to at length: from this correspondence, with John Christopher's agreement, I have compiled the “interview” which follows.
KeywordsGold Social Context Single Volume Public Profile White Mountain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blume, JudyTales of a Fourth Grade Nothing New York: Dutton, 1972. London: Bodley Head.Google Scholar
- Blume, JudyForever New York: Bradbury Press, 1975. London: Gollancz, 1976.Google Scholar
- Dickinson, PeterThe Weathermonger London: Gollancz, 1969. Boston: Little Brown, 1969.Google Scholar
- Edwards, G. B.The Book of Ebenezer Le Page London: Hamish Hamilton, 1981.Google Scholar
- Garner, AlanThe Owl Service London: Collins, 1967. New York: Walck, 1968.Google Scholar
- Malone, M.Dingley Falls New York: Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, 1980. London: Hamlyn, 1980.Google Scholar
- Mayne, WilliamA Game of Dark London: Hamish Hamilton, 1971. New York: Dutton, 1971.Google Scholar
- Stewart, G. R.Earth Abides New York: Fawcett, 1949.Google Scholar
- Townsend, John RoweWritten for Children (rev. ed.) London: Penguin, 1974. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1974.Google Scholar
- Wyndham, JohnThe Day of the Triffids London: Michael Joseph, 1951. New York: Fawcett.Google Scholar
- Wyndham, JohnThe Kraken Wakes London: Michael Joseph, 1955.Google Scholar
- Wyndham, JohnThe Chrysalids London: Michael Joseph, 1955.Google Scholar