Spontaneous luteinizing hormone (LH) surges are associated with more rapidly increasing estradiol (E2) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) in in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer
- 26 Downloads
In a retrospective analysis of 64 patients stimulated with human menopausal gonadotropin (hMG) and/or pure follicle stimulating hormone (FSH); 35 cycles with spontaneous luteinizing hormone (LH) surges were compared with 29 control cycles with respect to serum FSH and estradiol (E2) levels drawn on the day prior to and the day of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), approximately 16 hr after gonadotropin stimulation. FSH decreased significantly (P<0.05) in control cycles where two or more preovulatory oocytes (preovs) were obtained, in contrast to cycles with a spontaneous LH surge, where FSH increased irrespective of the number of preovs. The E2 increase in the LH surge cycles was significantly higher (P<0.05) than in the control cycles. However, the increase in E2 did not correlate with the change in FSH levels or with the number of preovs.
Key Wordsluteinizing hormone surges follicle stimulating hormone suppression gonadotropin stimulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Schenken RS, Hodgen GD: Follicle stimulating hormone induced ovarian hyperstimulation in monkeys: Blockade of the luteinizing hormone surge. JCEM 1983;57:50Google Scholar
- 6.Jones SL, Dorfmann A, Patton L, Pitt C, Joyce B, Schulman JD: The importance of the premature LH surge in IVF cycles with low dose pergonal follicle stimulation. Society for Gynecologic Investigation, 33rd Annual Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, March 19–22, 1986, abstr 47Google Scholar
- 7.Droesch K, Muasher SJ, Kreiner D, Jones GS, Rosenwaks Z: Timing of oocyte retrieval in cycles with a spontaneous luteinizing hormone (LH) surge in a large in vitro fertilization (IVF) program. American Fertility Society, 43rd Annual Meeting, Reno, Nevada, Sept 29–Oct 1, 1987, abstr 57Google Scholar
- 8.Sandow BA: Characteristics of human oocytes aspirated for in vitro fertilization. Infertility 1983;6:143Google Scholar
- 9.McLachlan RI, Healy DL, Robertson DM, DeKretser DM, Burger HG: Plasma inhibin levels during gonadotropin induced ovarian hyperstimulation for IVF: A new index of follicular function. Lancet 1986;8942:1233Google Scholar