Fracture surface roughness as a gauge of fracture toughness: Aluminium-particulate SiC composites
- 144 Downloads
Fracture toughnesses of several composites of aluminium alloys reinforced with particulate SiC have been measured. The variables were particulate size and volume fraction, and matrix alloy composition and heat treatment. Fracture surface profiles were measured and related to fractal dimension using the techniques of quantitative metallography. The fracture surface roughness was described well by fractals, but fracture toughness did not correlate with any measure of fracture surface roughness. An explanation for this behaviour is offered.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. E. Underwood andK. Banerji, “Metals Handbook”, Vol. 12 (ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio, 1987) pp. 193–210.Google Scholar
- 2.B. B. Mandelbrot, D. E. Passoja andA. J. Paullay,Nature 308 (1984) 721.Google Scholar
- 3.E. E. Underwood andK. Banerji,Mater. Sci. Engng 80 (1986) 1.Google Scholar
- 4.Idem, “Metals Handbook”, Vol. 12 (ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio, 1987) pp. 211–215.Google Scholar
- 5.C. S. Pande, L. R. Richards andS. Smith,J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 6 (1987) 295.Google Scholar
- 6.D. L. Davidson,Metall. Trans. A. 18A (1987) 2115–2128.Google Scholar
- 7.Idem, Engng Fract. Mech. 25 (1986) 123.Google Scholar