Complete affine locally flat manifolds with a free fundamental group
- 122 Downloads
Examples of free noncommutative subgroups of the affine group A(3), which act properly discontinuously on ℝ3, are constructed in the paper. These examples refute a conjecture of Milnor to the effect that the fundamental group of any complete affine locally flat manifold contains a sòlvable subgroup of finite index.
KeywordsManifold Fundamental Group Finite Index Affine Group Flat Manifold
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. Auslander, “The structure of compact locally affine manifolds,” Topology,3, 131–139 (1964).Google Scholar
- 2.D. Fried and W. H. Goldman, “Three-dimensional affine crystallographic groups,” Adv. Math.,47, 1–49 (1983).Google Scholar
- 3.G. A. Margulis, “Free properly discontinuous groups of affine transformations,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR,272, No. 4, 937–940 (1983).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Milnor, “On fundamental groups of complete affinely flat manifolds,” Adv. Math.,25, 178–187 (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.M. S. Raghunathan, Discrete Subgroups of Lie Groups Springer Verlag (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Tietze, “Free subgroups of linear groups,” Matematika,16, No. 2, 47–66 (1972).Google Scholar