Propagation of nonlinear Alfvén surface waves along a tangential magnetohydrodynamic discontinuity in an incompressible fluid
- 23 Downloads
The paper considers the propagation of low-amplitude nonlinear waves over a surface of magnetic discontinuity. An equation for these waves is derived. The evolution of a sinusoidal perturbation is investigated. The discontinuity formation time is numerically determined.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.B. Roberts, “Wave propagation in a magnetically structured atmosphere. I. Surface waves at a magnetic interface,” Sol. Phys.,69, 27 (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.B. Roberts, “Wave propagation in a magnetically structured atmosphere. II. Waves in a magnetic slab,” Sol. Phys.,69, 39 (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.P. M. Edwin and B. Roberts, “Wave propagation in a magnetically structured atmosphere. III. The slab in a magnetic environment,” Sol. Phys.,76, 239 (1982).Google Scholar
- 4.H. C. Spruit, “Propagation speeds and acoustic damping of waves in magnetic flux tubes,” Sol. Phys.,75, 3 (1982).Google Scholar
- 5.I. C. Rae and B. Roberts, “Pulse propagation in a magnetic flux tube,” Astrophys. J.,256, 761 (1982).Google Scholar
- 6.I. C. Rae and B. Roberts, “Wave diagrams for I.fflD modes in a magnetically structured atmosphere,” Sol. Phys.,84, 99 (1983).Google Scholar
- 7.E. N. Parker, “The nature of the sunspot phenomenon. II. Internal overstable modes,” Sol. Phys.,37, 127 (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.B. E. Gordon and J. V. Hollweg, “Collisional damping of surface waves in the solar corona,” Astrophys. J.,266, 373 (1933).Google Scholar
- 9.B. Roberts and A. Mangeney, “Solitons in solar magnetic flux tubes,” Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc.,198, 7P (1982).Google Scholar
- 10.H. Ono, “Algebraic solitary waves in stratified fluids,” J. Phys. Soc. Jpn.,39, 1082 (1975).Google Scholar
- 11.O. V. Rudenko and S. I. Soluyan, Theoretical Principles of Nonlinear Acoustics [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1975).Google Scholar