Physicochemical and structural studies of phaseolin from French bean seed
- 58 Downloads
Phaseolin, the main reserve globulin in seeds of the French bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.), has been purified for sedimentation equilibrium analysis. The major protomer at neutral pH has a molecular weight of 150 000±5 000 which associates to a tetrameric form of molecular weight 596 000±20 000 at pH 4.5. The trimeric nature of the protomer is apparent from protein crosslinking experiments. Initial structural studies were made using optical rotatory dispersion and circular dichroism measurements. Two different crystal forms of the protein have been grown and characterised by X-ray diffraction; one of these forms appears suitable for high resolution X-ray analysis.
Key wordsFrench bean Phaseolus vulgaris phaseolin seed globulin seed storage protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bollini R, Chrispeels MJ (1978) Characterization and subcellular localization of vicilin and phytohemagglutinin, the two major reserve proteins ofPhaseolus vulgaris L. Planta 142:291–298Google Scholar
- 2.Colman PM, Suzuki E, van Donkelaar A (1980) The structure of cucurbitin: subunit symmetry and organization in situ. Eur J Biochem 103:585–588Google Scholar
- 3.Mcleester RC, Hall TC, Sun SM, Bliss FA (1973) Comparison of globulin proteins fromPhaseolus vulgaris with those fromVicia faba. Phytochemistry 2:85–93Google Scholar
- 4.Pusztai A, Stewart JC (1980) Molecular size, subunit structure and microheterogeneity of glycoprotein II from the seeds of kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L). Biochim Biophys Acta 623:418–428Google Scholar
- 5.Pusztai A, Watt WB (1970) Glycoprotein II. The isolation and characterization of a major antigenic and non-haemagglutinating glycoprotein fromPhaseolus vulgaris. Biochim Biophys Acta 207:413–431Google Scholar
- 6.Sun SM, Slightom JL, Hall TC (1981) Intervening sequences in a plant gene — comparison of the partial sequence of cDNA and genomic DNA of French bean phaseolin. Nature 289:37–41Google Scholar
- 7.Suzuki E, van Donkelaar A, Varghese JN, Lilley GG, Blagrove RJ, Colman PM (1982) Crystallization of phaseolin fromPhaseolus vulgaris. J Biol Chem 258:2634–2636Google Scholar